Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

TOM-RO
Uber contributor

Hi @Akinna 

Getting a diagnosis can be really confronting in general but I can imagine this would be much more challenging given that you were not at all expecting this specific diagnosis. I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so confused, it is also very much okay to not be sure how to react or what to feel right now. It is okay to not be able to cry, perhaps some of these emotions will come up later for you. Right now, you are where you need to be and how you are feeling sounds very normal. 💜 

I am glad to hear you have a follow up appointment in two and a half weeks, and I would also assume this would be an appointment where you get to talk about this new diagnosis and what this could mean for you as well as how YOU feel about it. This could take a few sessions even. I would really encourage you in your next appointment to express exactly how you are feeling to your psychiatrist and any concerns you have regarding your new medication and this new diagnosis. Be as honest and open as you are comfortable with in expressing why you feel like this diagnosis does no align with your experience and get them to explain why you were diagnosed and why your psychiatrist thinks this fits you. The more knowledge we have the better ! The appointment is there to allow you to talk about how your feeling. 

Starting new medication can be difficult too so definitely check in with a GP (if you cant get an earlier appointment with your psychiatrist) if you are experiencing any uncomfortable side effects. 

Also, thank you so much for posting and sharing this with us, I hope we can be of some support during this time. Let us know how you are feeling today 💜

Who rated this post