cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

You're welcome @quietgirl🙂

Yeah that does make sense sometimes our brains can just decide to mess with us 😞 I know sometimes I've thought there weren't any triggers for things when there were- but they were either like a combination of things, an ongoing thing that I was reminded of, or like I was just saying it was nothing because I truly believed I was getting upset over nothing when there was something. But yes, emotions can come on seemingly without any cause. Idk brains are complex I guess 😅

Oh cool! Let us know how it goes (if you want!). Sure, I can brainstorm some more techniques with you. I'll also link some stuff that might be helpful.

Oh that's so awesome you saw your doctor about this! It can be so scary talking about this stuff that is so brave of you! 🙂 Hopefully they'll be able to set you up with some supports!

I'm sorry you don't have anyone else who knows or that you can talk to.. I imagine that would feel very lonely 😞 Plus not talking about stuff can like add to shame (e.g. thinking we're a bad person)

What kinds of techniques do you think would be helpful with emotion regulation? What stuff have you tried before that you've found helpful/unhelpful? I don't wanna suggest stuff that is completely unhelpful that's all!

Hmm another strategy people find helpful is like using your 5 senses to soothe yourself. Some people even make like a box full of things for when they're feeling upset. So like for touch, you might have some putty to play with or like you might want to hug a pillow or something like that. Do you have any pets you could hug? For smell you might have like something with your favourite smell in it like a candle or something like that. For hearing you might want to listen to calming music (or maybe intense music cause that can be so good for expressing your anger in a safe way). Okay I think you get it 😅 it's the same sort of thing with sight and taste.

Do you have any hobbies you enjoy? These could be helpful as a distraction when things are getting really intense

Sometimes venting about stuff either with a journal or people you trust can help us feel less misunderstood-I realise you said you don't have any supports atm, but this could be anything from coming onto here to talking to someone on like a helpline (e.g. eheadspace, kidshelpline)

Also, I just wanted to check.. A lot of people who struggle with depression have thoughts about hurting themselves, have you ever felt this way? We really care about you and just want to make sure you're safe that's all. If you haven't had these thoughts I just want to highlight that doesn't make your experience any less valid or painful, okay? I know some people can feel like people only care when stuff gets dangerous so I just want to make sure that's not what I'm sending out

Okay so here are some pages with ideas about coping (feel free to check them out but no pressure either way)

- coping with emotions

- working on your mental and emotional health

- dealing with anger

- coping with the hard stuff

- managing anxiety and stress

We also had a chat about emotions that you can check out if you want 🙂

Okay this is a lot of things sorry if it's too much I might have gotten a bit carried away! There's no pressure to check out any of this stuff but it's there if you would like.

Happy to talk about other stuff if you need 🙂

Who rated this post