cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink
Portia_RO
Star contributor

Hi everyone!

Next week, World Pride is officially upon us, which is a really exciting time for the LGBTQIA+ community. This is the first time that World Pride is being held in Australia, and is an opportunity to showcase all of the amazing queer art, music, literature and culture that the Australian community has to offer. The festival will also allow us to revisit and commemorate the history of queer rights in our country, as well as thinking about what lies ahead for us.

Ad Council Pride GIF by Love Has No Labels

In Sydney, there will be some pretty cool events going on over the next few weeks. Here are a few of the parties, festivals and showcases I'm most excited about:

• WorldPride Opening Concert: Live and Proud - To kick off our celebrations, there's going to be a huge music festival featuring artists like Charlie XCX, Kylie Minogue and Jessica Mauboy at the Domain in Sydney
  • Mardi Gras Parade - After a few years as a ticketed event at the SCG, the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade is coming back to its home on Oxford Street, which is the iconic spot where the '78ers held the very first Mardi Gras protest for gay and lesbian rights
  • Pride March - There will also be a Pride March across Sydney Harbour Bridge where 50,000 people will show up dressed in rainbows for a 4km walk for equality
  • Marri Madung Butbut - Meaning 'many brave hearts', this First Nations LGBTQIA+ gathering space will be open at the Carriageworks as a place to showcase queer Aboriginal art, drag and theatre. There are some amazing events going on here, such as the Miss First Nations: Supreme Queen pageant, Queer Koori-oke, and an interactive family circus show called Camp Culture

Miss First Nations from 2019 - Chocolate BoxxMiss First Nations from 2019 - Chocolate Boxx

World Pride's events look incredibly exciting, and a good chunk of them are free and accessible for everyone! However, these events all take place in Sydney, some of them are ticketed and already sold out (*sigh*), and some of them cost a pretty penny.

However, it's important to remember that pride is for everyone, and that there are plenty of ways to get involved in LGBTQIA+ events from every part of the country over the next few weeks. If you're based outside the city in a rural or regional area, if you're a little short on money, or if your sexuality is a private matter that's just for you, keep reading for some ideas on how you can celebrate who you are and who you love.

World Pride Outside: What to do if you live outside a major city

While World Pride is being hosted in Sydney, a lot of other capital cities across the country are getting involved in the queer festivities. Melbourne is holding Victoria's Pride Street Party on Sunday February 12th, Hobart is home to TasPride from February 10th-14th, fabAlice kicks off in Alice Springs on March 9th, and Brisbane is holding its 23rd annual Big Gay Day in April. 

But, what if you're from the country (like me)?

Horse Culture GIF by PBS Digital Studios

When I was growing up, there were very few out and proud gay, lesbian, bisexual, non-binary or trans people in my rural local community. In fact, I didn't know any. Mardi Gras came and went each year without discussion, and there was nary a pride flag to be seen in local cafe or shop windows around town. Luckily for me, and for many young queer people living in the country, the visibility of the LGBTQIA+ community in these areas is growing, and if you know where to look, you might just find yourself in good company to celebrate with this year.

1. Go to local LGBTQIA+ events in your area

Never mind a long drive or costly plane flight to your nearest inner city centre. These towns and suburbs outside of the major cities are getting on board with pride celebrations in the next few weeks:

🏳️‍🌈 Campbelltown Arts Centre: Karla Dickens - Embracing Shadows

Karla Dickens is Wiradjuri artist from Lismore whose exhibit Embracing Shadows provides a commentary on female identity and race in Australia. You can catch her art at Campbelltown Arts Centre from January 3rd - March 12th 2023.

🏳️‍🌈 Gippsland Pride

Gippsland is holding its very own pride festival across 6 shires right now! On Saturday February 11th, there will be a Gender-Affirming Clothes Swap event at Gippsland Performing Arts Centre, as well as Gippsland's Day Out, which is a family-friendly LGBTQIA+ day of live music and market stalls.

🏳️‍🌈 Broome Mardi Gras

Broome is holding its very own Mardi Gras festival from February 18th - March 6th. It will feature lots of interactive fun, like Drag Bingo, a Pain Your Inner Drag Queen art class, cabaret shows and even a boat party!

🏳️‍🌈 Bathurst Mardi Gras

In conjunction with Headspace, Bathurst will be running its own Mardi Gras parade on Saturday Feb 18th hosted by drag queen Betty Confetti!

There's plenty more where that came from, so jump online and search what's going on in your town during World Pride!

2. Host your own World Pride watch party

So you've checked it out, and there's still nothing going on in your local area for Mardi Gras 😫

Never fear! We can bring the World Pride realness to you.

Rupauls Drag Race Reaction GIF

Most of the time, my parents and grandparents don't have the opportunity to come join me in the city for Mardi Gras. When they can't be here to celebrate with me, they throw on their favourite rainbow shirts, organise an epic cheeseboard, and watch the Mardi Gras Parade on TV. They always have a cracking time, and it makes them feel close to me and other members of the queer community on our special night.

If you're outside the city during World Pride, consider having your friends and chosen family over for a watch party. ABC will be broadcasting the Live and Proud concert on Friday February 24th from 7:30pm on free-to-air TV, as well as the Mardi Gras Parade on February 25th. If TV isn't your thing, triple J will also be covering the parade live on the radio, so all you have to do is gather round and get ready to share the joy.

3. Join the Sydney World Pride Human Rights Conference online

If parties and parades aren't really your thing, then perhaps a human rights conference tracking the progress of LGBTQIA+ equality is more your speed.

Womens March Television GIF by Sarah Zucker

From March 1st-3rd, Sydney will be hosting the World Pride Human Rights Conference, which is the biggest LGBTQIA+ human rights conference to ever take place in the southern hemisphere! While you can attend the event in person, there's also the opportunity to live stream all of the conference talks with a moderated group chat function and live Q&A component. The event will cover topics like LGBTQIA+ healthcare, supporting rainbow families, protecting transgender individuals in the prison system, homophobia and transphobia in sport, and loads more. If you're keen to get involved, here's a copy of the conference agenda, and well as registration info

World Pride and Dollar Signs: What to do if you're on a budget

It is EXPENSIVE being a young adult right now. Between rent, groceries, bills and psychology appointments, I can barely even think about shelling out money for Mardi Gras outfits or tickets to a party without wincing. But celebrating your identity doesn't necessarily have to be expensive.

angry parks and recreation GIF

1. Go to free World Pride and Mardi Gras events

Fortunately, the organisers of World Pride seem to be aware that not everyone in the queer community is making bank. So, they've coordinated an array of events that you can attend for free:

🏳️‍🌈 Queer Exhibits at the Art Gallery of NSW

The gays are taking over the Art Gallery of NSW from February 12th to March 5th with a huge array of exhibitions that are all entirely free. On Sundays, the legends from The Bearded Tit (a local bar and space for queer artists) will be doing moderated panel discussions on LGTBQIA+ art and performance. On Wednesday Feb 22nd, the gallery will host Queer Art After Hours, where you can enjoy a drink and a snack while admiring installations and artwork made by and for the queer community. They even has a dedicated under 25s section!

🏳️‍🌈 Aesop Queer Library 

Popping up in Sydney and in Melbourne, Aesop Queer Library is designed as a cost-effective celebration of LGBTQIA+ literature. Their reading list features 45 different books by queer authors that you can find in store, and you're welcome to take one book of your choosing from the library for free without the expectation of making a purchase.

🏳️‍🌈 Minus18 Queer Formal

If you're like me, you probably had the dream of taking the girl or guy you liked to formal instead of going in an awkward boy-girl couple so that people wouldn't judge you. Perhaps you wanted to wear a dress, but got stuck in a suit that just wasn't you. Well, now you can do formal the right way! Minus18's Queer Formal is a free event that allows 12-19 year olds to be themselves and have the school dance they've always dreamed of and deserved. Take a date, a friend, or head there by yourself - there will be youth workers and plenty of other queer kids around ready to chat, make friends and dance the night away.

2. Hang out in a queer-friendly suburb

Pride celebrations are about community, and belonging doesn't cost a thing. If you're looking for a more low-key way to celebrate that doesn't cost too much, gather your nearest and dearest and head out for a pride picnic in a local queer-friendly neighbourhood. All you need is a picnic rug, some snacks, and good company. Alternatively, you can grab a coffee in your local queer-friendly suburb (keep your eyes peeled for rainbow flags) or head to free queer spaces like ArtKind in Brunswick (which is free for queer BIPOC).

3. Volunteer for a LGBTQIA+ community organisation or World Pride event

If you're on a budget, but you have time and love to give, volunteering can be a great way to get involved in World Pride. A lot of the events that are officially associated with Sydney World Pride 2023 require volunteers, so if you want to get involved while also giving back, sign up to help out. The same applies for Mardi Gras parades and queer organisations like ACON too - they often need volunteers to set up tents, share information and hand out freebies at their events. 

Give Anne Frank GIF by INTO ACTION

World Pride and Privacy: What to do if you haven't come out

I'm a firm believer that being in the closet and pride aren't mutually exclusive experiences. For some people, coming out isn't an option because their physical, emotional and psychological safety depend on them staying free from stigma, discrimination and persecution. For others, it may not be the right time to come out, or you may still be in the throes of questioning your sexuality or gender identity, which can be a really private thing. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to get involved in pride in some way, shape or form.

If you haven't come out, but you'd like to feel the love during World Pride, here are a few discreet ways that you can feel connected to the queer community.

1. Watch your favourite LGBTQIA+ movies and TV shows

When I was in high school and hadn't come out to my friends or family yet, I still used to participate in Mardi Gras in my own small way. I would set myself up in bed after everyone else had gone to sleep, sneak some popcorn and Maltesers into my room, and watch a queer love story. I may not have been screaming 'I'M GAY' from the rooftops, but this was my own private way of acknowledging my personal pride in my identity and celebrating with my community. 

If you're on the lookout for some queer cinema with good LGBTQIA+ representation, here are some of my all-time favourite queer movies and TV shows:

🏳️‍🌈 Priscilla Queen of the Desert (classic)

🏳️‍🌈 Holding the Man (heartfelt & a bit of a tear-jerker)

🏳️‍🌈 But I'm a Cheerleader (comedy)

🏳️‍🌈 Imagine Me & You (romance)

🏳️‍🌈 Carmilla (if you know me, you will have seen this webseries come up countless times in queer WWs...it's dreadful, and I love it)

🏳️‍🌈 Carol (romance)

🏳️‍🌈 Bros (new!)

🏳️‍🌈 Heartstopper (sooooo cute)

🏳️‍🌈 The L Word or L Word Generation Q (classic and future classic)

Season 1 Showtime GIF by The L Word: Generation Q

(Shout out to Bette Porter, queen of my life)

Keen to watch some LGBTQIA+ films, but worried about your family finding out? If you happen to share a TV or a Netflix account with your family members, you can still join in the fun. Try watching shows that aren't centred on queer issues, but just so happen to have plenty of queer folks in them (genius, I know). Try Wynonna Earp, Orange is the New Black, The Last of Us, or biopics like Bohemian Rhapsody or Rocketman. No one should bat an eyelid at these, but you know your circumstances best - only watch what you feel comfortable with when and where you can safely do so. 

2. Make yourself a World Pride playlist

If music is more your thing, try putting together a playlist of LGBTQIA+ anthems that make you feel comfortable in your skin. If you're worried about other people seeing your playlist and asking questions, Spotify has a privacy function where you can make a playlist that only you and people you specifically invite can see.

Grammy Awards GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Need some queer music inspiration? Here are some of the artists on my queer pride playlist:

🏳️‍🌈 Sam Smith

🏳️‍🌈 Kim Petras

🏳️‍🌈 Lady Gaga

🏳️‍🌈 G Flip

🏳️‍🌈 Peach PRC

🏳️‍🌈 Hayley Kiyoko

🏳️‍🌈 Ally Hills

🏳️‍🌈 girl in red

🏳️‍🌈 Adam Lambert

🏳️‍🌈 George Michael

3. Join our Mardi Gras Watch Party!

If dancing on your own just isn't cutting it, and you want to feel connected to other LGBTQIA+ people without fully stepping out into public view, you always have a place here! We'll be holding a Mardi Gras watching party on Feb 25th, so if you want some company to watch the parade and don't feel comfortable asking people in your life, come along and celebrate with us. We will always hold space for you to be who you are 💖

In Love Hearts GIF