Mod

Re: Hand care, skin care, health care, what about self care?

I think self-care is something we should do all the time. It's protective against things getting bad and helps us cope better when things do get bad. 

Builder

When is a good time to practice some self care? Is it something to use only as-needed or should we incorporate it into daily life?

Whilst I don't always do this, I think self-care should be incorporated into our everyday lives.

From my point of view, self-care can be a preventative measure of those dips in our moods and burnouts.

If we wait until we are already stressed and can't do anymore, we are likely to remain in that negative cycle.

I think it takes practise to implement it into our schedules and is something to aim towards, but using as we need it is also going to be helpful.

Super star contributor

Eating properly and exercise should be a daily form of self care

Mod

I agree @Randomness - self-care can definitely act as a protective factor and better equip us to cope when things get tough. I know for me, if I've engaged in self-care activities like writing a diary etc. then I'm more likely to be able to use other ones like listing things I'm grateful for when I'm in the moment of struggle and need to shift my perspective 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod Squad

Hey @loves_netball. Still sounds like you are kind of down - want to keep going talking about those feelings over on the "feeling low" thread?

PS you're list of self care strategies has got me thinking on what I can take to add to mine.
Builder

Oh I forgot about this Smiley Sad no reminder...?
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

Sounds like we're all in agreement about making it an everyday thing @roseisnotaplant @Randomness @Alison5 @loves netball Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

welcome @j95! looking forward to reading your contributions!!

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

Heya @j95, great to see you Smiley Happy I posted a reminder in Hanging Out but it was kinda a last minute thing as we forgot, oops Smiley Tongue feel free to join in though!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

Loving all your thoughts so far!

The next question we thought it might be good to discuss is this:

What do you do, or what can you do, when you don't have the energy to self-care?

Top High Fived Authors