cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: 2020 - Why do we have to pretend things are normal??

Hey @lemurien , just wanted to echo what other people have said and say thank you so much for starting this thread, I think it's really important to acknowledge and talk about the inherent weirdness in our lives right now. And I TOTALLY agree with you with finding that idea that we all should have used lockdown to be super productive/ start a new business/ learn a new language/ whatever totally infuriating! You are so right, it is 1000% a time for us to be gentle with ourselves. 

You may have already checked it out but just thought I'd share the link to the chat we had with Dr Joe the psychologist about how to cope in these times, there were some awesome insights there too Smiley Happy 

Check out our community activities calendar for August 2020 here
Highlighted

@lemurien I dislike the term too- it's not helpful nor reassuring. Self-compassion and engaging with things that are really important and resonate with you are key right now. Keeping up a cheerful attitude may work for some people and that's great (and definitely useful at times!) but acknowledging everything is crucial and healthy too, y'know?

Highlighted

Hey @lemurien, I wanted to check if everything is okay with you in lockdown? It sounds like things are getting pretty awful down there Smiley Sad

I also wanted to mention a conversation I had with my brother. He was talking about how humans are SO BAD at predicting the future. Like, six months ago we were being told that smoke covering all of our cities would be the 'new normal', that having no water would be the 'new normal', we were all waiting for you-know-who to start a nuclear war... and none of that happened! And it's so weird that people forget we had a global pandemic in 1920 as well- in fact we had some sort of disease outbreak in 1520, 1620, 1720, 1820... and we're all still here today. I think it's fair to expect the worse but hope for the best, but the reality is we don't know how things will go, but also knowing the human race we'll make it through anyway. It doesn't make things easier but I think it helps to be grounded.

With that in mind, I think a lot of people are misguided at the moment, especially those people calling lockdown a blessing- eugh! I believe that grief is probably the most valid emotion going around and I'm grateful that at least we've found the right word Smiley Happy I appreciate you enjoying reading my comments, I'm so glad you made this thread too Heart

Highlighted

Hey @StormySeas17 that sounds like an interesting conversation you had with your brother, I like what you're saying about the human race making it through (again!) and the importance of being grounded, I completely agree with you there.

I think you're right too about grief being the shared emotion of the moment, and I think it can be so helpful to name it. Hope everyone is doing alright today and scheduling in some meaningful self-care for this weekend Heart I am feeling like my covid-anxiety is heightened at the moment, so I will be doing many hair/face masks Cat Embarassed 

Highlighted

@Janine-RO I have had a quick look at the thread with Dr Joe, but when I get some time I want to read it through properly. I really like the line "we will outlive this shit" - reminds me of @StormySeas17 's conversation with their brother about everything the human race has made it through.

Stormy, I also think your brother has a great point about how flawed our predictions can be!! I think that's such an important point right now, because if you look at the news headlines, half of them say "Experts say..." or "so-and-so warns..." etc, and it's really tempting to take that as fact. But to be honest I think those claims are almost meaningless. There are many "experts" out there giving their opinions (some of whom aren't actually experts at all) and they often contradict each other... and like you said, if we look back on the past year, a lot of terrible predictions haven't come true!

I love what you've said about engaging with things that resonate with you @Tay100. when I started this thread, I wrote that I was worried about my internship, but now that I've started it it has turned out to be one of the things really keeping me going. My internship is in the teaching field, and the relationships I'm making with my students and the teacher I'm working alongside have become something that I really value in my heart.

@Hannah-RO I love doing face masks! you mentioned 'meaningful self care' and also scheduling it in, and it gave me the realisation that I should be more purposeful in my self care.

I am loving the conversations on this thread and I hope they're helpful to anyone reading along! <3
Highlighted

@lemurien the internship sounds so good! Is it online at the moment or in person? How has the internship played a role in your enhancing your mental health right now?

Highlighted

it's all online @Tay100 which is a disappointment in some ways, but it's a good way to learn a lot of tech skills for my career- plus, I get to sleep in. I think the main reasons it's helping is because it resonates with my values and because of how social it is. regular uni classes haven't been doing that for me, which makes me sad because I value my education a lot, so I wonder why that is?
Highlighted

Hi @lemurien, well done on getting an internship! That is really amazing! It sounds great (even if it is online). I am glad that it has helped to keep you going too. I am not sure but maybe classes aren't fulfilling the same purpose as it is something you have been doing for a while.. whereas an internship is new and is about putting the skills you have learned to use. Honestly, I think the idea of that excites every uni student after all those hard years of study! What do you think?
Highlighted

@lemurien ahh I see, it's good that's social and that you resonate with the culture. Maybe uni classes stick to hypotheticals to much and don't give you a chance to put your values into action? Hmmmm....What do you think?

Highlighted

you guys are probably right on the money! I mean, I started going to school literally 17 years ago when I started kindy, so it's no surprise that learning in classes is getting pretty old right? Smiley Tongue It's quite invigorating to put all that learning into action for a change.