cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Autism

At times the stress ball helps @N1ghtW1ng, but I think I go for the pens because they are solid.

Do you think this is something I should tell people about? (this is basically about uni) Because sometimes my brain just doesn't work and maybe having it known could help? Although that also feels like an excuse/cop-out for just not doing work. (some tutors probably already have an idea/guess but still...)

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hey @N1ghtW1ng, ultimately the decision is yours, but I think it comes down to what makes you feel comfortable. If you think that your diagnosis is causing you disadvantage compared to others, then I would strongly recommend talking to the disability advisor at your uni, and see what they say. That's what I've done, and with my placements, the supervisors have been told to be very careful about "throwing me in the deep end" (doesn't mean it won't happen, just means they will take extra care to make sure I will cope with that situation).

I want to emphasise that generally the lecturers and supervisors will not be told about your diagnosis, only its impacts on your studies. Please do not think that it is a cop-out for not doing work - at the end of the day it is about maximising your opportunity for success, so if you think that's what will help, then I say go for it! But you know yourself best and only you can make that decision.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

In response to this post from @N1ghtW1ng in the "Uni Student Support Squad" thread:

I should probably start by reinforcing that I am not a professional in the field, however from my observations as a music therapy student who has a diagnosis of autism, it sounds like your wanting to fidget and play with your slinky is a sensory "need" rather than a "want". I know this might be distracting, so I do think @Lan-RO's suggestion of a timer is good, but if it doesn't work, then that's okay as well.

I should add that I also find dealing with sensory issues really hard as well, particularly if I need to have something done (and urgently, which is often the case). I would really like to work on strategies as well. Is there anything that anyone can suggest? Heart

I'm feeling in scream-mode now. Yay. Dammit I hate this. The main reason for posting, is one: super excited for autism acceptance month next month. Woo. And two: executive dysfunction. I've been really hesitant to even mention it because to me (and only to me) if feels like I'm just trying to make an excuse for laziness but ahrh. Okay, it's too hot, I'm cranky, I'm leaving this for the moment.

Basically, I feel like it's so freaking impossible to do things. And it sucks a lot and could be related to autism. *sighs*

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

I'm sorry to hear things are feeling impossible at the moment @N1ghtW1ng

If you don't mind me asking - what "things" seem particularly difficult at the moment?

Okay so I'm feeling a little better, although instead of cranky I feel bitter but enough of that. (@Erin-RO I made a new thread because it doesn't really fit here)

But back to executive dysfunction. This article which is linked below because who has time to open up the proper reply does a good job of explaining what it can feel like (basically symptoms, which is what it's titled, although the rest of the title makes little sense to me). For me, I struggle a lot with motivating myself. It's taken me a couple or so months to respond to an email. I haven't spoken to my overseas friend in almost half a year, I've spent the past four or so days trying to start at least one assignment (when I have four, so it feels necessary to start as soon as possible).
When you google it, one link is about medical things with brain injury but it's also common(not sure how common though) with autism, ADHD and OCD.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I only heard about this recently but when I talk about the possibility I could have it, it feels like I'm just making it a cop-out for my laziness. (which is in no way me saying other people who say they have it are just lazy, no no no. This is just stupid-brained me) But yeah. I dunno. I'm tired and sick of not being able do to things and thought that this little nugget of info might be useful for anyone wondering about autism themselves Smiley Tongue

Oh and here's the link to that article.
https://everydayfeminism.com/2015/09/symptoms-executive-dysfunction/

That sounds like me @N1ghtW1ng. Small things seem like mountains a lot of the time, and it leaves me feeling very very stressed. It doesn’t help that I want everything to be 100% perfect all the time - a pattern of thinking that I’m trying to break, but not succeeding very well.

I had a full on meltdown today. I guess the neighbours had some entertainment.

How are you feeling today @mrmusic? Meltdowns aren't fun Smiley Sad Perfectionism is so hard to deal with too! Some things that have been suggested to me is to do a little bit at a time. For example drawing or writing, putting one or two lines or sentences down and then another. Sometimes things turn out better after their down.

@N1ghtW1ng I was doing the yard yesterday, and was having trouble with the line trimmer. I finally just gave up and went into full-on scream-meltdown mode.

Today I’m feeling flat, crappy and just generally not wanting to do anything - despite the fact I have so much I need to do!