cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Relaxation

Oh, I didn't even answer the part about overcoming the obstacle!

When I really find it hard to switch off and put my phone away, I'll just leave it at home. I'll take my book to the park and forget about it (which is actually really hard... as horrible as it is to admit that.)

Hey everyone, sorry I'm late. But as the saying goes, better late than never!

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@Billy-RO  That's alot harder than it sounds! Alot of people wouldn't be able to live without their phones. 

1. We don’t just relax because it’s fun; there is actually a really strong connection between relaxation and our mental and physical health. So our first question is: What are the ways you relax?

There are so many different ways I relax! It could be a bubble bath, going for a walk, practicing mindfulness. hanging with friends, watching a movie/ tv, reading a book, but really the list is endless.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

When people tell you to chill out, it’s sometimes way easier said than done. What are some of the biggest obstacles you face when it comes to relaxation, and what can you do to overcome them?

The main obstacles to relaxation for me are people, technology and my own mind! People are an obstacle for me because I love alone time when I relax, and it sometimes it can be hard to get away from them to actually get some me time (e.g. at work, or when you are living in the family home). Technology is an obstacle because, as Billy-RO said, it's always accessible through your phone and it so tempting to just get that out and surf the net when I'm meant to be relaxing. It can also be an obstacle because sometimes a 'bad news story' might come across my facebook or twitter feed and make up feel upset or anxious for some reason and totally disrupt my chill time. My own mind is probably the main obstacle though, I just have so much trouble shutting off my over-thinking (hence my use of mindfulness!).

@stonepixie Definitely better late than never! Welcome to tonight's chat! Smiley Happy

Welcome @stonepixie 

A wizard is never late. He arrives precisely when he means too. 

HAHA I just had to.

I'm trying to do that phone thing more and more, I'll be travelling some parts of Australia with a mate soon and don't want to be that person on their phone the whole time. So yeah travel for me is another thing that helps me unwind, obviously not a daily thing but like in general, its been a stressful year, I'm going to finish it off and start next year seeing new places. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

2.  Lots of people reckon music is a great way to relax. Is this true for you? What are you ultimate chillout songs?

To some extent this is true, but after a while, I started to get aggitated by the music. I love listening to soothing music, kind of like indie rock or even this weird cd I won in yr 6 for getting the music award.

Oops forgot to say how I overcome my obstacles: I try to use distracting activities that I can immerse myself in and mindfulness as ways to combat my over-thinking, turning off phones and computers as ways to combat the impacts of technology, and going for a walk, putting in headphones or shutting the door to my room as ways to combat the negative effects of people on my relaxation!