cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [INFOBUS] The rainbow: sexuality & gender diversity!

I feel like we could talk about this stuff all night, but just 20 minutes to go.. Next question:
Questioning your gender is a different thing to questioning your sexuality, though there are some similarities, like a process of 'coming out/inviting in'. If someone came to you and told you that they were questioning their sexuality or gender, but they hadn't told anyone yet, what would you tell them?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

True - it's a tricky one Bugs...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Questioning your gender is a different thing to questioning your sexuality, though there are some similarities, like a process of 'coming out/inviting in'. If someone came to you and told you that they were questioning their sexuality or gender, but they hadn't told anyone yet, what would you tell them?

I'm here for you.

and

How can I support you in this?

Nice Beemo, saying things like that is really all anyone needs to say.... It's non-judgemental, respectful and shows you really care... And because everyone needs different things, we need to be led by the person who has come and told us about their sexuality or gender identity..

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

thanks so much for sharing this with me!!! how can i support you to be how you want in the world? what pronouns would you like me to use (if they are talking about gender)? Do you want to share this with other people? I would want to let them know that I support their identity and decisions Smiley Happy

Also, some people might find it helpful to chat to a support service, which are all listed here around teh country... http://au.reachout.com/lgbtiq-support-services

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

• You can talk to me about it any time you want. What have you been thinking?
  • Oh okay so it's like you feel ______. When did you start feeling like that?
  • Have you wanted to talk to others but thought it might be hard or didn't know how to approach it?
  • Is it important for you to let others know how you're feeling or do you want to wait a little bit until you talk to family/friends?
  • Is there a way I can help you to feel more comfortable, or help you to talk to anyone else about how you feel?
  • Thanks for talking to me. I'm glad you trusted me to bring this up.
lanejane

I'd definitely thank them for trusting me enough to confide such a personal thing. I think I would listen instead of telling them anything because most of the time people want an ear. If they wanted advice I'd share some of my personal coming out experiences and help them plan it out a bit.

or even better what Beemo said

Well I know who I'm coming to if I need it - you guys! So supportive!!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com