cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [HAVE YOUR SAY] Technology for your health

7. Do you think social media could be used to promote information and services to young people? What kind and how?

Yes, general tips and tricks are probably the most obvious and accessible. Plus people don't want deep stuff spread all over their page/s (usually)

8. If you had a pot of money, what would be the most important thing for you to spend it on, to improve young people access to health information and health services using technology?

More accessible computers/tablets/phones for remote and disadvantaged areas that can therefore find what they need more easily than the well-off city folk who have doctors/professionals on every street corner.

1.Tell us the top 5 apps, websites, games you use for your wellbeing and health? How often doyou use or access them?

1. Tumblr to journal. 2. Smiling Mind 3. Pinterest to find craft idea's/distractions 4. My Fitness Pal 5. Youtube (not sure if that all counts but yeah...)  

2. What kind of information about your health do you search for online? Can you find everything you need or are some things you want information on hard to find?

I usually browse most things! Symptoms, medications, other peoples stories, services that may be available. Most things are pretty easy to find. 

3. If you were going to look for a professional (people like counsellors, doctors or health workers)to help you with an issue, how would you go about it?

I would usually google services in my area so maybe youth services or something and find centres online and see what they offer and then maybe phone or email the service if I think they might help.. Or do it the otherway around for instance I made a Drs appointment but then looked up the GPs profile on their website to find a bit more about them. 

4. Tell us about a health service that you have been to that you like the look and feel of (we’re thinking about services like counsellors, doctors, youth workers etc). What was it about the service that you found appealing? If they had website or you if they provided an online service to you, would that make any difference to you?

I've recently been acessing a youth service and their office is very open and bright. It's in a park which is nice and has a rooftop garden which can be really good for appointments to be out in the fresh air. I've used their website to find out more about the services they provide.

5. Youth health services are ‘one stop shops’ that provide a range of health services to young people like counselling, access to doctors, getting general health information and individual support (similar to, but not headspace) Do you know about any youth health services*? Do you know if you have one in your area? How did you find out about it?

I think there are a few in my 'area' but have only stumbled upon many from friends telling me about them. Some I have found online googling or on posters at other youth services or events. 

6. Thinking about the technology we asked about before, and youth health services – what sorts of technology would you and your friends use if a youth health service had it?

I think any online services are good and would definitely be utilised. The online counselling seems to be very popular and beneficial for many young people especially those who may be in regional or remote areas. Even basic things like having a facebook page. I follow the facebook page for the youth service I attend as it's a good way of keeping up to date with events and groups they may be running. 

7. Do you think social media could be used to promote information and services to young people? What kind and how?

Yes most definitely! Like I just mentioned I find when services have facebook pages it's an easy way for them to share events and groups and other services they provide to young people. I think it's also good because a young person has to 'like' the page to get updates so they aren't being bombarded with things that may not interst them. 

8. If you had a pot of money, what would be the most important thing for you to spend it on, to improve young people access to health information and health services using technology?

I'd say increase the number of services available. For instance I know there seems to be very long waits for online counselling services and that can very easily put a young person off accessing support. Also the issues faced by disadvantaged young people not having access to technology. They may only be able to use a computer for an hour at the library and that isn't long enough to access any online counselling services. So better connecting online and perhaps phone counselling services/referrals. And just increasing awareness of what is actually available online. 

1.Tell us the top 5 apps, websites, games you use for wellbeing/health.

In no particular order:

- Euro Truck Simulator 2

>> Allows me to tune out while remaining at a mental state of awareness. It's like going for a drive, only without the physical risk.

- Bejeweled (any)
>> It's an easy game, and little achievements always help me out of a slump.
- Two Best Friends Play (Youtube channel: thesw1tcher, superbestfriendsplay.com)
>> For 'Let's Plays' of games. Listening to the banter between members of the crew while watching them play games is a lot like having friends around just to chill out when your friends in real life have schedules that don't match yours.

- Duolingo
>> You get to learn languages for free and in the comfort and privacy of your own home. The programs are structured in such a way that each lesson is simple, immediately applicable and rewarding. Moreover, you get a visual representation of your progress and can revisit any lesson at any time.

- Scooby's Workshop (Youtube channel: scooby1961, scoobysworkshop.com)
>>For fitness information and tips. Content is informative, down to earth and digestible, and the presenter is very encouraging.

2. What kind of info about your health do you search for online? Can you find everything you need, or are some things hard to find?

I don't often search for health information online (for that I mostly just ask my mother, who is a nurse) and when I do it is usually with regards to fitness, but when I search for it, search results come relevant and numerous. I would say though that some search results cause me to over-worry about symptoms.

3. If you were going to look for a professional to help you with an issue, how would you go about it?

I first talk about what I perceive to be the problem, then outline why I believe it to be the case. I usually then talk about surrounding factors such as history and environment.

4. Tell us about a health service that you have been to that you like the look and feel of. What did you like about it? If they had a website, would that make any difference to you?

Whether or not having a website improves the experience depends on the type of service. If it is mental health, then yes, it would vastly improve it as not only can the website provide information to the general public, but a range of contacts could be provided. I believe that ReachOut already provides this.

5. Youth health services are ‘one stop shops’ that provide a range of health services (doctor/youth work/counselling etc) to young people (similar to, but not headspace) Do you know about any youth health services? Do you have one in your area? How did you find out about it?

I do not know of any youth health services, but I do know that the local Community Health Centre provides such services. My mother has previously worked there and has told me what they offer.

6. What sorts of technology would you and your friends use if a youth health service had it?

A 24-hour crisis hotline.

7. Do you think social media could be used to promote information and services to young people? What kind and how?

Absolutely. Awareness-raising and general information are useful, but it depends on who the information reaches, and through whom. The most effective method is to use establish outlets with large audiences, such as figureheads and internet celebrities, as well as people who have a community presence.

8. If you had a pot of money, what would be the most important thing for you to spend it on, to improve young people's access to health information and health services using technology?

I would use that money to facilitate the creation of a one-stop site that offers information on different aspects of youth health and wellbeing. It should be attractive and user-friendly, such that while information is detailed and numerous, it is not lost in a clutter of menus and submenus and archives.

Highlighted

Thank u to everyone for ur responses - they r so thoughtful and insightfulSmiley Happy

What u guys have come up with will be presented to youth health workers in rural and city health areas over the coming months to begin with and then hopefully further shape how we deliver services to young people when u need it, and in formats u guys actually want to use. 

Thx guys!!