cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Bi-Visibility

Again another important question and very common for bi+ people.

I am careful not to give advice as its hard to know what will feel ok for people in their specific context. but i can say, talking to other bi+ people has been soooo important for myself and other bi+ people i have supported, because taking the time to process and work out how to talk about something we are still trying to understand can be hard, especially if a partner gets anxious, or fears you are going to leave them or want threesomes etc (i know it sounds silly but this can happen)
You can always prepare yourself to respond to biphobic comments or other questions but talking to other bi people or you can go to the BiPlus Australia website with your partner and read through their resources section where they answer all the myths and other questions

@AnthonyBisexual that made me think of another myth: that if you haven't been with either gender, then you can't be bi. You can be bi without having never been with the opposite gender to who you normally date! Some people feel like they should experiment with people of all genders, while others are happy with their one person. Like with all sexualities, both are valid and it has nothing to do with being bi!

Thank you for that response and you're right - very common for bi+ people. Which just drives home the point that having a community is so helpful when figuring out your identity and what it all means. 

It sounds like you've done so much to create a safe space for bi people to talk through these things, which is so reassuring to know Heart 

Way To Go Good Job GIF by Justin

its really great reading along with all the questions and responses tonight Smiley Happy
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

While we're on the topic of the importance of having bi community, this question came through and it's a really interesting one. What do you think @AnthonyBisexual?

Do you think bi people have their own 'culture' separate from the gay community?

yep yep for sure. Sexual orientation is not about sexual behaviour. Althogh the 2 are linked, they are not always linked. Said in another way, just because a man kisses a man or a woman kisses a woman doesn't automatically make them gay or lesbian.
But you make such a great point. A gay man or a lesbian women can be a virgin and no one would question their sexuality. A bisexual person may only have been with one gender and their sexuality is questioned and measured against how many people of different genders they have sex with.
Don't you hate the question: "what percentage gay are you and what percentage straight are you"??? soo annoying....of course the answer is 100% bisexual!!!

@AnthonyBisexual  Thank you for sharing all these wonderful resources! Smiley Happy

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been here yet.

I'm not really available for this chat, but I'll be around tomorrow to look through it. ❤

YES YES!!
It is so important for bi+ people to have Bi+ spaces away from the broader LGBTIQA+ community. Tish is not to segregate but to allow time for bi+ connections to occur without the fear of biphobia. We know that Bi+ people experience biphobia in queer spaces just as often as they can in mainstream or 'straight' spaces.

I should also say that we also have allies in both spaces too

But there is something really special when Bi/ pan/ Multi-gender attracted people come together in a bi+ community space, it feels different, its amazing!!!

I agree @AnthonyBisexual. I think you can be bisexual but have your own preferences and ideas about what you look for in a partner. It's not about 'how straight' or 'how gay' you are.