cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Chronic Illness Support Squad

Hello again! 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for me. I’m having an endoscopy in a couple of days, I am not sure exactly what to bring with me as my last one was quite a while ago.

Also, any tips for calming nerves, I’ve been a bit more anxious in the lead up about it than I thought I would be, I’m not exactly sure why, I’ve had a couple of endoscopys before.

thanks 🙂

Highlighted

Hi @Dream_State! I had one a few years ago and I was pretty nervous too. They let my mum stay with me until I went to the area where I had the anaesthetic because I was so anxious. The anaesthesiologist said that he could give me medicine to make me feel more relaxed, but I don't know if he actually gave it to me. They also did an ECG on me because I was so nervous that my heart was being too fast.
Maybe you could ask if you could have a support person come into the day surgery unit with you. I had another surgery recently and they also let me read magazines in the anaesthetic bay and call my mum from there when the surgeon was running late. I think this helped with my nerves. My sister also gets anxious before operations and one time, the anaesthesiologist let her watch Ninjago on his phone and sing the theme song while she was receiving the anaesthetic. I think the staff can do a lot of things to help if you tell them that you're nervous.

In terms of what to bring, I would bring socks or slippers just in case. My hospital changed their policy between surgeries I had over the years. Originally, they gave me some things that looked like a shower cap but for my feet, but then for this year's surgeries, they told me that they don't have them any more and that I could wear my own socks or slippers. You may also need to bring any relevant scans. If they were done at the same hospital, the surgeon may be able to access them but I think I ended up bringing them for this year's surgeries just in case. I don't think you would need to bring anything else but I'm not sure. You could ask the hospital when they call to tell you the time you have to come in and when to fast (although once the surgeon told me this information in the pre-op appointment).

Good luck! I hope it all goes well. Heart

Highlighted

Thank you @WheresMySquishy !!! I believe I have to have a parent with me because I’m still considered a minor. Although a lot of things have changed because of COVID19. 

This might sound strange but I think I’m most nervous in the lead up to it. I spent so much of my younger years in the same hospital so in a way being there is actually calming. Thank you for your suggestions, I’ll definitely take that into account. I think children’s hospitals in general are reasonably positive places with kind staff so hopefully on the day I’ll be fine.

thanks again! 😊

Highlighted

Hey @Dream_State,

It is totally normal to be nervous. I really hope the suggestions are helpful - good luck with your surgery Heart Please let us know how you go.
Highlighted

@Dream_State  I hope the staff treat you well and that everything turns out okay! I've personally had both good and bad experiences with children's hospitals, but the great thing about them is that they tend to provide a lot of entertainment and fun and I've found that they ask how you're feeling more often than other hospitals. The one my sister goes to has a traffic light system for assessing mood and they ask if there is anything they can do to make her feel better if she is in the red zone.
Maybe some of the staff will remember you too! I had some funny run-ins when I was in hospital recently. Smiley Happy