cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm obsessed with a fictional character

In May of 2020, I started rewatching my childhood show, Roary the Racing Car for the sake of nostalgia, and while Roary himself was my favorite at the age of 6-7, my new favorite has become Drifter, the orange sportscar, due to his attractive body, his pretty face and his demure demenour. I have become absolutely infatuated with him, and it's coming to the point that I'm actually having sexual fantasies regarding him, and also wanting to own an actual sportscar that looks like him. I'm fully aware of his fictional status, but I'm starting to think my obsession with him is getting into unhealthy territory; I can't stop watching Roary the Racing Car, and I'm only watching it to see Drifter; it's really hard to stop because Roary the Racing Car is right at my fingertips; and I also wouldn't drive any car that's not a sportscar.

Re: I'm obsessed with a fictional character

Hi @PhoneMomma, thank you for sharing. This show sounds like it has been significant to you throughout your life and I imagine it must have played a big role in your childhood. It seems like your fantasies and obsessions (as you call them) are beginning to have a negative influence on you, is that right? If you feel as though it is becoming unhealthy for you, have you thought of chatting to a psychologist about how this has been impacting you?

Hi @PhoneMomma 

How are you doing of late?

How long has these feelings and thoughts being going on for you?

9 months.

@PhoneMomma That is a long time. Have been experiencing more distress than usual from this or anything of late? 

It's been accreting over the 9 months.

@PhoneMomma It does sound a stressful situation to go through all that Smiley Sad . Obsessions can be tricky to manage without personal strategies to cope and relax. What is something that you have done in the past to cope with the situation you are in?