cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] The sickness

stuff it's probably important not to say is: "feel better" or you'll get better!

the thing with chronic illness is that it is long term and while we'd love to just "BE BETTER" or "GET BETTER" we can't always do that when we want to.

chronic+comic+2.png

lanejane

I have no idea what I'd say, I'd just hang around if they needed me for anything! Be that physical support system

What would you say to a friend who has just been diagnosed with an illness? And how it is important to act around them?

I think it's important to not judge them and take their needs into consideration.  Asking them if they would like support or just some space could be really helpful to avoid causing tension between you.

Not treating them like they're 'fragile' or 'special' is also a good idea because some people can take offence when they're treated like that.

i think @FootyFan26 - sometimes when we find out someone is sick we start treating them like a whole different person. like they are going to break.

you're still you if you have an illness!

lanejane

That just went from 0 to 100 real quick @lanejane!

Great answer @FootyFan26

Highlighted

4. What would you say to a friend who has just been diagnosed with an illness? And how it is important to act around them?
I would say I'm here for them and if they need someone to vent to, or to just lay about in bed with i'd be there. 

I'd also treat them as I had previously whilst being empathetic to their needs.

What would you say to a friend who has just been diagnosed with an illness? And how it is important to act around them?

Not sure eactly what I would say but I would try to be as empathetic and understanding as possible. In terms of how I would act I'd try to be there to help them whenever I could, but it would be super important to not over do it and make them feel like I thought they were not capable of being independant. Kindness and balance would be the big main things Smiley Happy

Next up! 

5. Despite how much we try to help our friends, sometimes they may pick up some bad behaviours as coping mechanisms. What are some negative coping mechanisms people might adopt when dealing with illness?

hahaha @lanejane that picture is... Intense to say the least Smiley Tongue