cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: I just can't cope.

sometimes i just have a cry in a quite corner, gets rid of all the stress and anguish, then i pick my self up and do something creative which i feel a sense of accomplishment... like today...
Highlighted

Thanks for sharing your answers everyone- seems like there's lots of things that can push us over the edge. When this happens we have to decide between a good and bad coping strategy and it can be hard to choose sometimes. 
Is there a difference between a 'good' thing to do when you're not coping and a 'bad' one? How do you decide if a coping technique is good or bad?

Highlighted

alone time... especially after being bullied at work
Highlighted

@Alpha73 wrote:
sometimes i just have a cry in a quite corner, gets rid of all the stress and anguish, then i pick my self up and do something creative which i feel a sense of accomplishment... like today...

Welcome Alpha! Smiley Happy 

I think that's a really good approach to have. Dealing with the emotions but then finding something you can do to give you a sense of achievement. Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

@Birdeye wrote:

@sagira and dreamcatcher: When I'm sad and listen to a sad song, it often lets me think that I'm not alone in my sadness. Other times its a way for me to vocalise to everyone else that can hear it/me that that's how I'm feeling without me actually saying it.

I know what you mean, it's really hard to say it out loud sometimes.

GOOD OR BAD!?

Well, if it's something that's unhelpful mentally and physically and will only prolong or inhibit your suffering.  Then I would consider it 'bad'.

Highlighted

Is there a difference between a 'good' thing to do when you're not coping and a 'bad' one? How do you decide if a coping technique is good or bad?

I think a good coping strategy is one that benefits your situation and helps you get out of whatever negativity you're in. A bad coping strategy is one which does more harm in the long run than good. 

Highlighted

thats hard one to figure out, I try not to re-act to anything and take a few deep breathes and be in the moment... focus on a task at hand either at work or at home and do that to my best ability. if still not coping talk to a friend, Dr, or go for a walk.
Highlighted

A 'bad' coping may make up feel good for a little while but isn't good for your health/ has negative, long term effects/ becomes an addiction/ etc.... a 'good' coping technique will make you feel a lot better but won't be as self damaging. 

Example: Binge drinking to cope VS writing/expressing yourself in a journal or painting, etc.

Highlighted

Yeah, I think so. I think bad coping strats are things that make you feel worse, make the problem worse (or make it seem worse), or have a negative effect on other things in your life (i.e. binge drinking could lead to poorer health or oversleeping and missing commitments). I think good coping strategies help you to feel less stressed or upset, feel a bit more in control and help you feel like you can face things and deal with them effectively.

Highlighted

@dreamcatcher wrote:

A 'bad' coping may make up feel good for a little while but isn't good for your health/ has negative, long term effects/ becomes an addiction/ etc.... a 'good' coping technique will make you feel a lot better but won't be as self damaging. 

Example: Binge drinking to cope VS writing/expressing yourself in a journal or painting, etc.

Great example dreamcatcher!