cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving past ignorance

How should we react when we experience or see someone being ignorant? 

I think speaking up is important in informing people, I always say that everyone's opinion is valid and important but there is more than one truth.

In saying this speaking up is so hard especially if you are dealing with someone who is stubborn or raises voices when they argue, that is my dad and with him I have to give him evidence and if I don't get through to him I just agree to disagree.

Talking about it is planting a seed and maybe they will think about it and research it later. 

To be honest, I got the Obama Fever because he was black and I was proud. Smiley Embarassed

@ruenhonx I had that song stuck in my head the other day!

How should we react when we experience or see someone being ignorant? 

Speaking up is important, but I think it's equally as important to do it in a non threatening, almost inquisitive way... so that you are starting a discussion rather than a fight.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Hi all,

Sorry for the late roll in but...

I think the Obama side-story, if you will, has a great relevance to the ignorance question.

I got behind Obama because his becoming President suggested to me that Ameria was actively moving out of ignorance. Particularly ignorance towards a group of people. 

Well in this case, it's hilarious, so we should all laugh a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_IzYUJANfk

But normally, I think it's important to let everyone speak their mind and try to respect other people's point of views as much as possible. It can be tempting to try to "teach" people, but that's dangerous waters as they may not want to be taught. Sometimes, unfortunately, we are going to have to agree to disagree. If it really is just a question of filling a hole in someone's general knowledge in an objective way though, then that depends on whether the person wants to listen or not! 

I love how we are all talking about why we really like Obama so: How can we improve our attitudes when we feel we are about to do/say something ignorant?

@Shona - I love that video, I think people are just too scared to admit they don't know in public hahaha hilarious. 

How can we improve our attitudes when we feel we are about to do/say something ignorant?

Ask yourself "Am I being open minded?" "Are there other ways of seeing this?" "If someone said/thought/did that based on my (race/sexual orientation/health issue/religion/political views/age/whatever) how would I feel?" etc.

To try and prevent ignorant acts/words from occuring, talk to as many people as you can, especially people who are completely different from you. And READ! But try to make sure that what you're reading isn't biased, or if it is, at least exercise caution (this goes for everything you see in the media!)

How can we improve our attitudes when we feel we are about to do/say something ignorant?

I think we should all stand back and ask ourselves "What would Obama do?"

OK OK, on a serious note i think we should just try to put on our acceptance hats and remember that ignorance is not a constructive way to think or act, and we will be able to achieve more the more we open our minds to new things.