cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Writers Thread!

@Bre-RO I'm not even sure what inspires me really, mostly I just write when it comes to me. But cold and rainy weather always motivates me to write, and listening to certain types of songs. It just kinda depends on the day. What about you?

Highlighted

Hey @indieinsanus, yes I've been feeing quite unmotivated lately as well. And no, you didn't down the mood. I love that you're sharing your experience, I'm sure lots of people can relate!

I feel like the thing about creative stuff is that it can only happen if you're in the mood for it. Sometimes we feel like we can write for hours on end, and other times it just doesn't happen. Do you feel that you should be writing more now that you have more time? I found that should-ing ourselves can actually make it harder to get in the flow. 

Highlighted

Oh look, a thread after my own heart Heart

I totally get not having any inspiration. For me personally I only write when I'm under high stress like exams. I think it's because it's hard for me to sit down in front of my screen unless I'm already in the habit of doing it for other things. A few other things can help, for example, I have friends who are interested in my projects so they're always coming up in conversation and I'm thinking about them. Actually, both of my main projects are collaborations! The other thing I find helps is consuming new or nostalgic experiences or media. For example, I often use music as an inspiration.

But another thing I was also told is that you should never expect to produce amazing work after a hiatus. It's like a rusty tap, it takes a little while before the water comes out clean again. So placing standards on yourself that you should be producing quality stuff immediately might not be fair. Is there a way you can motivate yourself to spending consistent time every day on writing?

Highlighted

@indieinsanus funny you say that - the first poem I ever wrote was because we were locked inside at school because it was raining. And I wrote a poem about it! 

These days I am usually inspired to write when I'm feeling intense emotions and am connected to them. Relationships,being outraged by injustice in the world, general things I'm passionate about. But I have noticed it comes in waves - don't worry the flow will come back!  

Highlighted

Hi @November13 , I probably have been putting pressure on myself because I would like to have a career in writing, so I think I'm worrying a bit that its not right for me or something, idk.

I think I need to get back to writing simply because I love to write, and not because I feel like I haven't done enough. Writing is strange sometimes. At its core, for a lot of people, it's something they love to do, but it seems to morph into so much more, and people can be hard on themselves for not doing enough or being 'good enough'. 

@Bre-RO @StormySeas17 

Anyway, I've got a question if anybody would like to answer, is there a writer or poet you look up to, or who's writing you really admire? And what kind of stuff (form or genre or anything) do you guys like to write? ( If you're comfortable sharing)

Highlighted

I love writing and do it when the creativity is flowing through me @indieinsanus I've written published articles - usually personal stories that make a commentary on society/politics in some way. I also still write poetry and have one of those published too Smiley Happy 

I also wrote an article for ReachOut which was really exciting and fun for me to do. 

My favorite poet is the late Candy Royalle Heart Also E. E Cummings. This is my fave poem of his: 

e.e.PNG

Highlighted

I'm with you on how strange writing is @indieinsanus. It's great and enjoyable but when we put pressure on ourselves it becomes a chore. It's great that you would like a career in writing and you'd like to write again for the joy of it. Is there a particular area you're interested in for your future career? 

Highlighted

@November13  I am going to study journalism at uni, and I hope to someday get the opportunity to report on human rights, and possibly do something along the lines of becoming a war correspondent at some point. I'm not quite sure yet, but something to do with justice and human rights. On the other hand, I also really love creative writing, and it would be amazing to be able to publish a collection of poetry or a book at some point in my life.

Highlighted

@Bre-RO That's so cool that you have been published!.

I have heard of E.E Cummings, but I have never personally looked into his work, perhaps I should. 

One of my favorite poets of all time is Sylvia Plath. I had to study her collection of poetry 'Ariel' in high school, and I have really admired her writing ever since. One of my favourites of hers is 'Lady Lazarus'

Highlighted

@indieinsanus Wow, sounds like you've really got it figured out. I wish I had known this much about what I wanted to do when I was in school! And publishing a book or collection would be very cool. Good luck with your dreams and keep writing, just because you enjoy it Woman Wink