cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT]: RUOK? What to say if someone says "nope"

Hi everyone , 

when someone says no I'm not okay how do we respond appropriately ?

That's a very good question @BunnyWalks 

When someone says "no I'm not okay" how do we respond appropriately ?

Hmm this is a tricky question! But I'll have a crack at answering it, i'd love to hear all your thoughts too, even if you're not sure or just have some questions like this one! 

First we listen (without judgement) and say - thankyou for telling me/opening up to me - Its ok not to be ok.
Any corresponding conversation includes open ended questions like:
Have you felt like this before? And what did you do that time? Did it work? is there something different that you think you may need? Is there anyone around you that has this same issue? Can you seek advice from anyone around you? What have you done to alleviate these feelings? What would you like to see happen? What would a happier you look like/feel like?.

When someone says "no I'm not okay" how do we respond appropriately?

It is best to stay calm, keep talking to them in the tone of the conversation you have already set, (I do recommend having/keeping it casual) ask them what they mean by that, if they care to elaborate. If you're not sure of any services, you can recommend looking up one together whilst keeping the conversation going. 

If they don't divulge anything other than they are not okay, you can continue conversing with them, let them know that you are here if they change their mind about talking about it.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I'd say do a lot of listening and ask them what you can do in order to help them.  I guess it depends on the person and their situation but you could also suggest services, strategies or distractions if they're okay with that.

@TPayne those are some really good questions.

Its important to note that the RUOK campaign doesn't encourage problem solving, in the way of taking on the person's response to the question as your own. If we took on this burden we would not be able to be much use after helping out a certain number of people. So what we suggest, is listen and encourage action - but it is THERE action, not yours. We are empowering people by resourcing them to take control of their own feelings/thoughts/actions. Also empowering someone has lasting effects as the person has been equipped with a tool or strategy they didn't have before.

@stonepixie I like the idea of a casual chat as well, I feel like a formal chat can be a bit intimidating. Do you think some people prefer a formal chat to a casual chat or nah?

3. What are some barriers that may be stopping you or others from seeking help?