cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MHCNSW Consultation: tell us how it is

Have you ever felt really unsupported or alone with your problems? Who made you feel unsupported and why? (Again, it could be services, friends, family etc)

Yes I have especially by the counselling service at my school as explained by my previous post they were terrible. I also felt unsupported by my family like they didn't understand and they didn't want to see it in their daughter/sister. My friends don't really understand what i am going through either and they try to support me. But since I have lost my best friend as he was married and i feel very alone I don't know who to turn to because I put basically all my trust on him and know i don't have him i feel ike i have no one 
Highlighted

Have you ever felt really unsupported or alone with your problems? Who made you feel unsupported and why? (Again, it could be services, friends, family etc)

Thanks for underlying family there Sophie.

Yes, that would be family for me. They have unsupportive throughout my diagnosis and throughout my years of adolescence.

I acutely remembered my parents have called me "crazy" at multiple occasions when they were talking behind my back and I overheard them. I can't talk to them about anything, not even about the weather. During exam periods for e.g. it is stressful. My family won't step in and offer extra support, rather they would still get in the same amount of argument with me to add on the stress. There are times they could physically see I am distress and would just turn a blind eye and ignore me. In conclusion, I need to move out.

Hey KE, thinking about your parents, who would be a good influence on them to get them to have a more understanding attitude? Do you think they would be influenced by awareness campaigns or media or information in their workplaces etc? And if you could teach them one thing about being supportive, what would it be?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

To add onto my point I feel like my family doesn't understand what I am doing through, that I am a silly teenager, that because i pretend to be happy everyday I am fine when inside im in so much emotional pain

Hey doris - do you have any ideas on the Qs I asked KE about their parents? ("who would be a good influence on them to get them to have a more understanding attitude? Do you think they would be influenced by awareness campaigns or media or information in their workplaces etc? And if you could teach them one thing about being supportive, what would it be? ")

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@oliverose: do you feel pressure to pretend to happy? where does that come from do you think?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

listen to your kids instead of ignoring them

It sounds like there's some similar themes across people's help seeking experiences...

Imagine there were no issues like money, waiting lists, distance or access to technology. If you were going to seek help or support for something, what would you want that process to be like in an ideal world?

Have you ever felt really unsupported or alone with your problems? Who made you feel unsupported and why? (Again, it could be services, friends, family etc)

Oliverose, that sounds really tough! It sounds like you may have some people that you could try to help them to help you by sitting down with them and explaining things to them more. I think understanding is key but dont discount your support network until you've really tried to connect to people that you perhaps first didnt think would help you!

I agree, when I was in school my counselling service was shocking. I know that there was another counsellor who other girls seemed to find helpful but I dreaded going to mine, partly because I felt like the school was forcing me to go, and partly because I really didnt want to bring all my personal mental health issues to school, the one place that I could put everything aside for the day and talk with my friends/concentrate on work. 

The problem with school counselling programs to me is that often people feel exposed in such a public environment, and it isnt great for people who want to separate their school lives from their home lives.

KE

Hey KE, thinking about your parents, who would be a good influence on them to get them to have a more understanding attitude? Do you think they would be influenced by awareness campaigns or media or information in their workplaces etc? And if you could teach them one thing about being supportive, what would it be?

Definitely more awareness. They are great now that they actually understand and there are still somedays when they just dont get it, but they dont dismiss it anymore. I think people speaking openly about mental health would make it seem like not such a shameful thing. And more support for family. It's annoying because so many illnesses have so much awareness, and it is so simple to ask someone with a physical illness if they are okay, but this is an invisible illness, so people forget. . But more talks at schools, and education, and maybe more campaigns. And the most advice I have is to just listen. DOn't judge or try to make them feel better, just listen. sit there and help them but just letting them know that you care and matter. I have a lot to say about this so I will stop for this question. Sorry!