cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Twins are NOT the SAME PERSON! (Im furious)

Today I had someone really and purposely invade my personal space.
I just went for some afternoon drinks with my twin and my mates. 
My Twin is very out-going he's confident and kind and thoughtful. 

Naturally this makes them a lot of friends, while I prefer to stick to a tight knit group of people
I don't like large crowds. 
But the problem with this is, whenever my brother makes friends for some reason his friends think they must be automatically connected to me as well and that makes them my friends. 
But that's not the case, so you have this tool (one of my brothers friends) who somehow stupidly thinks that he's killing two birds with one stone by only TRYING to have a friendship with ONE of us but here's the problem with that WE'RE NOT THE SAME PERSON and you haven't developed any sort of relationship with me! So he comes up to me slapping me on the back as if im some old friend, smelling grossly of alcohol, laughing obnoxiously in my ears, knocking my arm so I spill my drink (the alcohol splashed onto a new shirt and stained it) and all around getting too close to me for comfort or appropriateness so I acted rudely back which now that I think about it might have been a bit harsh.
I pushed his arm that was resting on my shoulder (Making his drink slosh slightly) and turned around glaring at him said " We're not familiar with each other so don't touch me "I kinda snapped at him and he seemed really shocked at this and he didn't have time to react because I stormed off to dab at my wet shirt in the bathroom.
What is it with people that they think they can act so rudely towards someones twin JUST because they're friends with their sibling?
I don't know how it was seen maybe I came off as a mega bitch, but I am so tired of pretending to be ok with people that think WE'RE THE SAME PERSON, WE'RE NOOOOT!
If we were the same person, we would not have been born in two seperate bodies. 
If you haven't bothered to actually get to know me as an individual person and think that somehow befriending my twin is a free pass into becoming my friend also THINK AGAIN that's not how friendships/ relationships work. 
To have a friendship you need to PUT EFFORT into actually getting to KNOW THE PERSON.
I think I overreacted a tad, but at the same time you gotta empathise that I've been dealing with the same crap for 20 years.
It gets old really fast.
Have any Advice/ Feed-back on the situation? (I need some fresh opinions from people that can detach themselves from the situation)

Highlighted

Re: Twins are NOT the SAME PERSON! (Im furious)

@YunoGasai I'm sorry to hear this guys acted like this 🙁 in any situation this isn't cool! I do not blame you for being irritated and snapping back. If you take the situation by itself it may look a bit out of context, BUT in saying that it doesn't. You're right that being friends with your twin doesn't make them friends with you - YOU ARE two separate people! (And I'm so glad you can see this! Smiley Happy )

Have you been able to have a sit down with your twin and explain that these things and how you feel about them - people assuming his friends are your friends without any interaction to get to know you, and assuming your the same person?
I wounder if your twin doesn't realise how you're feeling about all this? And how you're so different to him?

I hope this helps and I hope I'm not too far off the mark 🙂

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

@YunoGasai I agree that it must be such a frustrating thing to deal with! Smiley Sad everyone has different comfort levels regarding physical contact, and your right to personal space should absolutely be respected.

I'm wondering if you have any of your own friends, which aren't part of your twin's social circle? As you said, you're your own person, so it's totally cool to forge your own identity Smiley Happy

@YunoGasai Being irritated with the situation is totally valid, it's beyond frustrating when someone makes zero effort to differentiate you from your twin, even if they think they're being nice. It can feel like they don't give a damn about you on an individual level.
It's also really uncool when people assume that there are the same physical or personal boundaries in your relationship as between them and your twin. Overreaction or not in this scenario, having boundaries and reinforcing them is okay!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

Thank you, I feel so validated.