cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Thanks for the comment @Blueberry_Kudu

Great question :). For me, I find being aware of the "cycle of anxiety" makes it easier for me to break it before it begins. Here is an example.

Naturally, study and exam stress is a common occurrence for me. Let's say exams are coming up. I began to feel anxious, nervous, and a weight on my chest. Now anxiety perpetuates when you start to assign those feelings to a situation/topic/person and actively avoid it.

Being aware of this, I don't try to shy away from these feelings when I begin to feel them. I usually go out for a walk and actively reflect on them. Perhaps i'll consider why am i so nervous??, am i underprepared for my exam on cognition??, Is it maybe I am working too much and not letting my body recover?

Thereby my behaviour directly breaks the cycle, as I am directly acknowledging the source and doing something about it. Alternatively, if I ignore them, I would start doing possibly detrimental behaviours that would have short-term relief (e.g. not studying) but in the long term increase worrying (e.g. I haven't studied, I am gonna fail!!!).

This is a really simplified version. Reality is never this simple. However, compared to my high school anxiety levels, I would say this is why I am far better than I was previously. 

Hope this makes sense! Here is a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CAd9o9OlqM

Who rated this post