cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Astra-RO
Super frequent scribe

Hey @Pinkfluffyunicorn24, thanks for sharing what's been happening between you and your parents. I can hear how frustrating these interactions have been, especially as it sounds like they've been unsupportive as you are trying to gain more independence as a young adult. It sounds like despite this, you've been quite proactive in trying to navigate this situation, in that you've tried to talking with your parents and finding other ways of gaining more independence without their support. It's understandable that you would feel so angry and upset that your parents aren't willing to support your plans or ideas. Being met with what you describe as gaslighting and manipulation can really impact wellbeing and mental health. Do you feel like you have practices that help you manage this difficult dynamic?

It sounds like your friends have voiced their concerns with you about your relationship with your parents and you're now reflecting on whether there is truth to this and wanting validation, rather than ways of problem solving. It's great you've taken the step to reach out about this, as this isn't always an easy thing to do. I think it certainly does sound like a really difficult and frustrating situation where your parents have been invalidating and unsupportive of you trying to navigate the world as a young adult. 

We're here to listen if you're wanting to share more. I also just wanted to share our service PeerChat here if you're wanting to chat 1 on 1 with a peer worker

Who rated this post