Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Lapis_Anteater
Builder

Hey @cteeniee

Thanks so much for this post. It’s really made me think. I often wonder how little me would feel about my current career goals and where I’m at in my life. When I was little, I wanted to be an astrophysicist mainly because of the influence of my brother. Once I had a better understanding of myself, I worked out that I wanted a career where I could help people in some way. Since then, I went from wanting to be a teacher, to wanting to be a psychiatrist, to wanting to be a psychologist. Now, I think I’m pretty settled on wanting to work within the field of biostatistics/epidemiology.

I found it hard to let go of the way I envision the future and accept my limitations. It helped when I eventually worked out that the version of the future I had created wasn’t the only one where I’m happy. You learn so much as you grow up and time progresses, so I guess your previous ambitions are inherently naïve. You really can’t account for the challenges you’ll face. For me, the challenges that made me changed my future career have allowed me to become a better person so I don’t think I can wish that they didn’t happen. Overall, I’m excited to see what the future holds, but for now I think I’ll just do what I enjoy, embrace the uncertainty, and see where it leads.

Who rated this post