cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Astra-RO
Super frequent scribe

Loneliness Awareness Week (5 – 11 August)

AstraRO_0-1722674025905.gif

Loneliness Awareness Week is held during the first week of August in Australia each year. The week encourages us to talk about our shared experiences of loneliness, take action to reduce it, and create more opportunities for connection. 

The theme for Loneliness Awareness Week this year is why we feel lonely– and many people find themselves asking this question. We thought we'd share our thoughts to get the ball rolling 

🤔 What is loneliness?

Loneliness is a feeling of being alone with a desire for more meaningful connection with others. It’s not the same thing as being socially isolated or physically alone. You can be surrounded by people and still feel lonely. Adding to this, being alone does not necessarily mean you will feel lonely!

Loneliness is a universal human emotion, meaning anyone can feel lonely.

What does loneliness feel like?

Loneliness can feel different for everyone. It might feel uncomfortable for some, and even painful for others. It can be temporary or long lasting. You might feel sad, misunderstood, empty, or like people don’t care about you. 

Here are some examples of what loneliness might feel like from us at ReachOut:

“Loneliness feels like I am stuck, all alone in an empty black hole. It feels as though no one in the world understands me, it feels as though time has frozen and everyone else is moving forward but yourself. It can be really distressing too as it feels never ending.”

“To me loneliness feels very isolating, like your an alien that's unable to communicate and connect with other people 😞

Why might we feel lonely?

There are so many different situations which can contribute to feelings of loneliness. For example, 

• life changes– e.g., moving to a new place, starting work or study
  • physical and social isolation- e.g., living in a rural area
  • not having support through tough times
  • grief and loss– e.g., death of a loved one, relationship breakups
  • physical and mental health struggles
  • communication or cultural differences- e.g, being in a minority group
  • bullying, discrimination, or abuse
  • financial or work stress
  • trauma
  • substance use
  • social media and comparing ourselves to others

Not understanding where loneliness comes from can make us feel even more isolated and unsure of reaching out for help.

Is loneliness always a bad thing?

Loneliness on its own might not always be a bad thing. Like all other emotions (e.g., anxiety) and internal signals (e.g., hunger), it serves a purpose and is designed to help us survive and meet our needs. Loneliness might be a sign that your need for connection and belonging aren’t being met. At the same time, loneliness can become tough to cope with and interfere with our daily lives. 

What can you do if you’re struggling with loneliness?  

Coping with loneliness can be tough, but there are things you can do to feel better. Different things will work for different people at different times, but here are some examples of what some of us here at ReachOut do:

“When I feel lonely I automatically do self-care activities and take myself on a solo date. This can be simple like making myself a tea, putting on a candle and cosying up to watch my fave tv show. Loneliness can be an excuse to do the things I like on my time - like having an extra long bath or doing a longer than usual skin-care routine. I like to acknowledge these thoughts of loneliness but then instead of sitting in them and getting distressed, I try and shift my mindspace to something positive.”

“(1) Find activities that you enjoy, and take part in them 🙂 - this may create opportunities to meet like minded people. (2) Don't be afraid to be the first person to introduce yourself at a social event. (3) Even try connecting with people online.”

How can we address loneliness as a community?

Loneliness isn’t all on the person experiencing it, it’s important that the community facilitates a sense of connection and belonging. This could be by: 

• checking in on each other
  • being inclusive and valuing our differences
  • sharing your experiences of loneliness if you’re comfortable
  • debunking common myths around loneliness and stigma
  • being aware of services and community activities that build connection.

📚Further reading and support

Some articles and discussions

Support services

💬 Over to you!

How would you answer these questions? Do you have any other thoughts you'd like to share about loneliness?

Who rated this post