Casual scribe

Running out of options...

I don't really know where to go anymore. About 2 years ago I was in a pretty bad place but I was seeing psychologists and GP's at headspace and they were absolutely amazing. Headspace was so so welcoming and everyone there was so lovely and I felt safe. I trusted them, which is a really big deal for me. I was going to headspace for about a year before they said that I had run out of sessions and that I needed to be referred on. After that I was referred to my local hospital's mental health unit which went terribly. I hated it there. It was so terrifying and I was so nervous and they were so rude and unwelcoming to me. My psychologist there made me feel so much worse after every session and I was actually kind of scared of her. I was too scared to say anything to the people there so I rang the GP at headspace again and they said to try the counsellors at my university which I did. I talked to a counsellor there for a while but it wasn't really making any difference and I was at a point where I was doing a bit better on my own so I stopped talking to anyone altogether. This was a year ago now and since then I have started feeling worse again, falling back into old habits and its starting to scare me a bit. 

I don't really know where else there is for me to go. Are there any other places where I could just talk to someone about how I'm feeling? where people are understanding and friendly? I am 20 now so I don't even know if I am allowed to go to some of the youth places anymore...

I didn't really know where I was going with this and it's my first time posting anything on something like this so i apologise for ti being so long and confusing...

Mod

Re: Running out of options...

Hi making! Welcome to RO - I hope you'll like it here. Sorry about the late reply - it's been a busy past couple of days.

Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you've been through a lot, but it's great to see that you're persisting through everything. It takes a lot to talk about this stuff, and I just want to acknowledge the work that you're doing to take care of yourself even after those negative experiences. I'm afraid that there might not be that much I can tell you without more information, but I just wanted to note that you absolutely ARE still free to use youth services; pretty much all the youth-oriented organizations in Australia are open for all up till the age of 25. (You might be riding the border for children's services, but so long as the organizations are advertised as youth-serving, you should be fine.)

I'm not 100% sure, but if it's been a year since you went to Headspace, I believe you may be eligible for another course of sessions from them if they operate anything like the rest of the Medicare-rebated mental healthcare system (that is to say, you get 10 discounted or free sessions a year, after which you have to go pay out of pocket). If you found that you really connected with the counsellors at Headspace, I'd consider giving them a call and seeing if they're open for you to have another course of sessions, as having that connection with your therapist can be crucial. And if not, we're always be here for you on RO, and we can see about what other options might be available Smiley Happy

Casual scribe

Hi,
Thanks for replying. Its good to know that I can still got to youth organisations, i think they are a lot less daunting than those for adults.

I got a lot out of talking to headspace but I was so so nervous the first time that I don't know if I could go through that stress again trying to contact them. I would also be worried that maybe if I went back they would just refer me again? I don't want to use more than my share of sessions there because there are so many other people that are probably waiting to talk to someone as well and I don't want to take that away from anyone. I'm not really sure how it all works and I'm kind of figuring it all out on my own so I am never really sure what to do...
Mod

Hey @making Smiley Happy As @Asche said, you would be entitled to 10 sessions again. If you find Headspaces' processes a little intimidating, another option would be to see your GP, ask for a mental health plan, and ask for a referral to a psychologist. You could even research psychologists yourself and ask the GP if they can refer you to them.

I can't be sure, but I'm inclined to think that since you have been to Headspace already, their screening assessment may not be necessary? If you see a GP, it is likely they will ask you to do a K10 assessment, which has 10 questions about your mental health to which you would respond from 'some of the time' to 'all of the time.' It's nice and quick. Smiley Happy

Mod

Hey @making, just checking in to see how you're doing? What do you think about those options @JanaG suggested? Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Casual scribe

They sound like good options and it would be fine but just the thought of talking to someone just makes me so so nervous and I don't think I can do it.

and even though I have been to headspace before and know what to expect I am still so panicked about what would happen and what they would think of me.
Mod

[ Edited ]

Hi @making Smiley Happy it's awesome to hear you had a really good experience with headspace 2 years ago.

It's totally understandable that you are feeling panicked about having to talk to someone again. It can be really challenging to open up especially if you have to start from scratch with a new person. But you do deserve help and it's great that you are thinking about seeking some again Smiley Happy

What do you think a next step for you could be?

Casual scribe

I don't know anymore
Mod Squad

There are also helplines, which takes away the pressure of that face-to-face interaction. That might boost your confidence in seeing someone face-to-face soon after? Here are some services that you could try:

Lifeline 13 11 14
Suicideline 1300 651 251

The first step is thinking about getting support and you're already there! 

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar