cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [INFOBUS] The rainbow: sexuality & gender diversity!

Coming Out” means different things to different people and can be simple for some, while for others it can be challenging and confusing. Some find it helpful to think about it as a process of "inviting in" rather than coming out.. What are some of the things that can make this time easier?

THis process in my expereience is super different for everyone! Understanding whats safe and what is best for your life at the moment is super important and I think the focus towards Inviting people instead of coming out can change the focus from other people back onto the person who sharing a part of their life with someone else. It is about inviting people into understanding a bit more about them instead of the being pushed out into somewhere that might not be safe or great for that person

So, onto the next question when it comes to gender and sexuality, “Coming Out” means different things to different people and can be simple for some, while for others it can be challenging and confusing. Some find it helpful to think about it as a process of "inviting in" rather than coming out.. What are some of the things that can make this time easier?

Personally, one thing that I believe that could make this a bit easier is a good support network. Whether said network is teachers, family, friends, etc., really anyone that you know who'll support you through this process. The "Coming Out" stage could be as "simple" as coming out to yourself, a support network will help you with this.

A lot of people find it helpful to write out and draft a coming out letter to parents or other significant others.

It gives you time to fully form your ideas and express them how you would like.

It also gives the receiver time to process without pressure

@_sagira_ i think that's a really good way to look at it. just to explore it and not to pressure yourself or let society pressure yourself in to having to choose one way of being you!

lanejane

“Coming Out” means different things to different people and can be simple for some, while for others it can be challenging and confusing. Some find it helpful to think about it as a process of "inviting in" rather than coming out.. What are some of the things that can make this time easier?

Oh gosh...see this is something I don't even really like to think about it. The only people who know anything about sexuality are those who follow my blog and the two primary school friends that I deciced to divulge the fact that I had no interest in ever having a relationship with a male. Took me over 10 years to say that to those two people. I think once I become more comfortable with who I am, what I want etc...then yes, I like the idea of inviting people in on that information.  Oh and my psychologists knows...that has led to uncomfortable, but necessary conversations.                      

One other thing I'll quickly add about coming out. The first person I ever "came out" to was myself. I've actually done it twice, once with sexuality and another time with gender.

“Coming Out” means different things to different people and can be simple for some, while for others it can be challenging and confusing. Some find it helpful to think about it as a process of "inviting in" rather than coming out.. What are some of the things that can make this time easier?

Personally, I don't really like the term "coming out". I don't like that we label talking about our sexuality as this big deal, when it's not much different than talking about anything else new or scary in our lives as young people (or any age really).

For example - If you're straight and telling your parents about your first boyfriend its it not kind of similar? Some parents might not like this equally as much as their child identifying as LGBTIQ.

There's lots of things people don't talk about in regards to themselves, and for all of these things its a process of communication and acceptance. For some people it's instant, and for others it may require processing time or some bigger life changes.

That's just my opinion though Smiley Happy

lanejane

I really like that idea @Bugs - Twenty10  Since when does anyone else have the right to dictate how you live your life anyway? I feel it's such a 'judged' area. People don't know what to say...how to react. It's sort of like mental health in a way. That has just as much stigma associated around it. And slowly but surely over the years I have let people know what's really going on with me and the bipolar. I consider it a very similar situation...letting people know.

I really like that idea @Bugs - Twenty10  Since when does anyone else have the right to dictate how you live your life anyway? I feel it's such a 'judged' area. People don't know what to say...how to react. It's sort of like mental health in a way. That has just as much stigma associated around it. And slowly but surely over the years I have let people know what's really going on with me and the bipolar. I consider it a very similar situation...letting people know.

It took me a couple years to fully explore and accept my own sexuality.

In my experience I find diverse gender identities can be even more difficult to come to terms with and for others to accept.