cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink
Bre-RO
Uber contributor

BreRO_0-1680000660278.gif

If tonight has raised questions or concerns for you, reach out to your psychiatrist, psychologist or GP. It's hard to scratch the surface of ADHD in one discussion, and it's always best to discuss with the health professionals who know you best if you need support.  

If you're feeling distressed after reading through tonight's discussion, know that it's okay to continue chatting about it with someone. 

Crisis support 

📱Lifeline 13 11 14  

📱Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800

Also, I'd like to acknowledge that some of you may not have contact with a health professional or haven't completed the process of getting a diagnosis. So if you're looking for someone to chat with and get information from, here are a few support services you can contact. 

ADHD support services and information

📞 ADHD Foundation Helpline is a volunteer-run information and referral line. It isn't available 24/7, but you can also contact them on their website. You can call them on 1300 39 39 19

📖 ADHD Support Australia has a tonne of information and a directory of their site which you can view here

🔍 Find a Psychologist is a national directory of psychologists for those of you who'd like to chat more about ADHD with someone one-on-one. 

📹 Check out our ADHD collection of articles and @PsychologistRashida  interview video

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

BreRO_1-1679997202765.gif

@PsychologistRashida , thank you so so much for joining the community to talk about ADHD tonight! It’s always so good to get your take on things. 

I love how you’ve spoken about how sensory tools can help during emotional times and your suggestions for spending time with other ADHD people – I think that is soo important.

Thank you so much for having me come on for another AMAA - On a topic that's very important to me!

I hope some of these answers helped you in some way and felt supportive. 

You can find me on Instagram at @flow.state.space

See you next time! ❤️

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

We’re almost finished tonight, but I just want to thank everyone who sent in a question + acknowledge the community member who sent this one in. Thank you for your honesty and vulnerability!!

I really want to embrace my neurodivergent identity, but it's been tough for me. Do you have any advice for someone who's trying to shift their perspective on a part of their identity that's linked to bad memories?

I would remember that your Neurodivergent identity is just that, a ‘part’ of your identity, not your entire identity. In order to re-frame bad memories linked to parts of our identity we might need to have some corrective experiences around that part so that we can have a new ‘reference’ point for that part. At the moment it sounds like the reference for this Neurodivergent part of you is steeped in negative or bad memories. So we want to start associating the identity with more positive qualities and memories. Can you list out the things your Neurodivergent identity allows you to do, achieve, embrace, and start associating it with more of a positive experience and memory. Does it cause and allow you to be more creative, empathetic, understanding of others, think outside the box? If so, lets spend intentional time remembering this and embracing these qualities it provides. 🙂

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

BreRO_0-1679995971008.gif

Another good question!! My ADHD role model is Solange Knowles 👆🏼😎

Do you admire someone who has ADHD? If so why?

I admire so many people with ADHD! All of my amazing clients who have ADHD are incredible and I'm in awe and inspired by them everyday. 

Some of the most creative, influential people in our world have ADHD - some examples are the Host Trevor Noah, Actor Emma Watson, Director and Screenwriter Daniel Kwan, Athlete Simone Biles. 

Remember those with ADHD often have an intolerance for injustice meaning they end up in careers with a focus on social justice / helping fields. They also score higher on ‘divergent thinking tasks’ meaning they think outside the box and are often highly creative and artistic. These are all admirable qualities and something to be celebrated.

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

BreRO_0-1679994981382.gif

I really admire the person who shared our next question!! It takes a lot of strength to reflect on an outburst and walk away from that wanting to find new ways of overcoming the struggle.

I’m an emotional person and sometimes i have huge outbursts, usually, it happens out of the blue. How can get better at knowing when i’m about to get really angry or upset? and what can i do to calm down?

This sounds difficult and I commend you for sharing this vulnerable information and asking this question - wanting to react differently.

Consider taking some time to check in on some ‘warning signs’ - these can often be both physiological and emotional cues. Do you start noticing anything within your body and how it feels that indicates you are heading towards an outburst? If you start to pick up on some of these cues, you can use a tool to intervene earlier before you’re in the outburst. Some warning signs could be a feeling of heat in your body or chest, a fast beating heart, tingles in your fingers or toes, shaking, sweating - these are all indicators of moving into your fight or flight mode which is usually the state we are in when we have an emotional outburst. We then might want to use tools to bring us back into rest and digest - This could be getting a sensory tool like a heavy weighted blanket, or something you can feel the texture of to bring you back into some of your senses and help support a state of calm. You could practice focusing on your breath, moving your body in a new way, stretching, yawning, going out for a walk - anything to release the excess adrenaline which can be building to drive the emotional outburst. 

You can also physically remove yourself from the place you are in and use that as a distractor to calm yourself down.

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

Thank you for asking this question because many people will relate to it and will benefit from what @PsychologistRashida has to say! 

Hey, I've been struggling with my confidence and self-esteem due to my ADHD. It's been really hard to be myself around others, especially since finishing up with school. I'm feeling pretty stuck and don't know how to break out of it. Any advice on how I can start being my true self?

I would also consider connecting with other people experiencing ADHD if it feels more safe to be your true self amongst them - being around people who can truly 'get it'. If you are surrounding yourself wiht people who can't understand your experience this may be impacting your over all confidence and self-esteem.

I’m sorry to hear this - this sounds difficult and I admire your vulnerability in sharing it here.

I guess this question can have many different answers. I would first of all remember you are the expert in what your true self entails and often the hardest thing is doing the things that feel most true/authentic to you if you’re not seeing other people embody their true selves. If it feels like a lowered confidence and self-esteem is what’s holding you back from being your true self, then sometimes the hardest thing is having to step into a place we are yet to feel confident in, in order for the confidence to actually grow. I have a saying there is ‘no easy way to do difficult things’ and this feels like a similar situation.

In order to build our confidence and self-esteem we often need to just step right out of our comfort zone to achieve it.

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

BreRO_0-1679993021333.gif

Know that you’re not alone with this question!! Habits and routines are tough, but it’s all about experimenting with different strategies + tools and finding out what works for you.

Can you share some advice about how to look after yourself with ADHD? Remembering to eat, getting to sleep and waking up on time, exercising, and even keeping up with medical appointments feels impossible sometimes, and it’s starting to affect my health.

I’d again consider some visual/sensory aids for support - There are many tools created specifically for those with ADHD in mind including certain clocks and timers. I’d be colour coordinating calendars and using wall calendars - something to note is ‘out of sight out of mind’ is often true for those with ADHD, so sticking things in places easy to access and see to remind yourself of what may need to be done. 

I’d consider seeking out an ADHD coach or therapist who works with ADHD to help strategize on tools that may be suitable for your particular lifestyle and challenges. 

I’d find creators who speak online about what helps them and find a community so you can ask what people are doing to support themselves and maybe discover new tools. 

Most importantly i’d be mindful of the language you use when you are talking to yourself - be gentle/ be compassionate and be kind. A negative inner critic and dialogue will only cause you to struggle more with not only attention but with your overall self esteem, confidence and worth. You are worthy and deserving of treating yourself like the best friend you love.

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

My heart goes out to anyone struggling like this at school. Remember that many opportunities await you no matter what happens in your final school years!!

What kind of support can help me deal with school? I’ve always tried hard at school but now that I’m in year 11 i feel exhausted and overwhelmed in class.

Remembering having an ADHD diagnosis is nothing to do with how ‘intelligent’ you are and not an indication of what you are capable of.

I would consider using visual aids for reminders, the ADHD brain loves visual cues and visual/sensory aids - things like utilising your alarm clock, having a physical alarm or timer to chunk up things throughout the day - you can get clocks with a big red marker on it indicating when the time is coming to an end. Using visual calendars on the wall and colourful reminders of what may be due or what you need to do next.

I'd chunk everything up to morning/ afternoon/ evening. I'd be mindful of what time during the day you feel most productive and what time you feel you are 'checked out' and i'd make sure to put things that feel 'easier' to do in the times that you feel you have less capacity. 

I’d consider talking to your teachers about your diagnosis if you haven’t already so that they may be able to adjust the delivery to suit your needs a bit more. 

First of all - You are not alone in feeling exhausted and overwhelmed with an ADHD diagnosis in the later years of school - often this is when symptoms can start to surface in ways that maybe they previously didn’t - the later years of school and post High School can lean towards more self directed learning versus guided learning in earlier years at school, which can be difficult for those with an ADHD diagnosis as structure/ guidance is helpful.

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

Great question! It can be super challenging to put these experiences into words + to navigate daunting conversations.

How can I help my friends and family understand why and how ADHD has such a huge impact on my life?

There is a lot of amazing material out there with information about ADHD which you can send them through, as a doorway into understanding if you are having difficulty in explaining it yourself.
You can also invite them into a session with your Psychologist or whoever provided your assessment and diagnosis to have them help share how this diagnosis can be impactful on your life.
I did a video with ReachOut which is on Youtube all about ADHD which may be helpful to pass on!

Also remembering that people not diagnosed may find it difficult to understand, however, there is great movement into more understanding, awareness and acceptance of Neurodivergent conditions which is very exciting!

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

BreRO_0-1679991255777.gif

Thanks for this question. I think it’s important to acknowledge how difficult the assessment process can be for those of you currently going through it. Surround yourself with supportive people!!

How do you get an ADHD assessment in Australia?

You can get an assessment and diagnosis done through a Psychologist who works with Neurodivergent presentations, a Neuropsychologist or Psychiatrist. 

All of this would start with a referral from your GP. 

You will need a referral from the GP to see either a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist. 

Also note that most Psychiatrists will want to see you more than once before they discuss and prescribe medication. 

It sure can be difficult - and at the moment, with the amazing awarenes and information we are now sharing about ADHD, a lot more people are wanting to explore a diagnosis. This can result in longer wait times to see someone who can provide an assessmetn and diagnosis and also the fact it can be a very expensive process. 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

Let's start with the different kinds of ADHD! Over to you @PsychologistRashida 

What are the different types of ADHD? and what are some of the common experiences for people with each type?