cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is Sadness Normal ?

There are days that I feel a strong feeling of sadness that scares me inside is that normal? And there are other days where it’s not that bad even days where I don’t have it. It’s a kind of sadness that is quite  frustrating where I don’t feel like I’m going to cry I just feel angry if that makes sense. How do I make these feeling stop? What should I do ?

Re: Is Sadness Normal ?

Hi @Dleehy2002,

Thank you for sharing this with us and asking for help Heart

I'm not entirely sure how to respond but I wanted to say I've seen your post and we're here to help support you Smiley Happy

Sometimes it's okay to feel sad, especially if there are things around us that aren't quite right.

Do you feel like there is anything causing you to feel sad?

I also wanted to link these resources about feeling sad

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hey @Dleehy2002
Checking in on how you've been going Smiley Happy

Hey @Dleehy2002, I see that @Bee has checked in with you and I just wanted to do the same. How have you been lately?

Looking forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

I’m doing a bit better, the Anxiety has stopped at school but it was only today that the Strong sad emotions coming back again today. I’m worried about not having a future after school and I’m confused on what I want to do with my life after school, I have strong emotions and thoughts and I don’t know what to do about it. How do I pass negative thoughts and make them positive ? How do I control my emotions ? After what I had to deal with I’m honestly not as happy as I was and it scares me. 

@Dleehy2002 I'm glad to hear you've been doing a bit better Heart
Sometimes we are going to face strong emotions and sometimes they will be hard to deal with, and that is perfectly okay. Although if you're facing these strong emotions daily and struggling to cope, it'd be worth checking in with a doctor Smiley Happy
As to controlling negative emotions, I like to think of it more as coping with them. My psychologist has said to me it's not that we want to make the negative emotions totally go away, but to cope and manage with them. So while I'm feeling sad I might decide that to cope I need a distraction that is fun and light-hearted, so I'll go and chat to a friend or watching something funny like Brooklyn Nine Nine. But in contrast, if I decide the best way for me to cope is to feel the sadness, I will watch or read or listen to something sad, and I end up so engrossed that I'm feeling the sadness of the thing I'm paying attention to, but my feelings of sadness have been felt and often what was making me sad doesn't feel as strong and I can move forward from it. (Does this help or make sense?)

I think it's pretty normal to be worried about not having a future after high school. I know and have heard from lots of different people that they worry about what will happen or what they will do etc. It is a big change and can be quite daunting to process. My advice is to follow your heart and make decisions that you think will be best for you. Heart

Hi @Dleehy2002 how is your weekend going?

I just wanted to ask if you have thought about talking to a Career's Counselor at your school? They might be able to help you identify what interests you and talk about different jobs and study options