cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried about 8 year old daughter

Hi,

I am worried about my daughter who has just turned 8. She is generally a happy girl but shows some anxious tendancies. She is very good and putting on a brave face and hiding her feelings.

The reason I am concerned is she has hurt herself a few times recently. Thinking back, she actually started this about 2 years ago but I thought it was a once off. Now we have had 2 incidents in the past month. Both have come about after she has hurt someone by accident. She has become upset, gone off to her room and hit her head on furniture, scratched her arms with her fingernails and pinched her arms and face. She has actually told me what she has done an hour or so later.

I've spoken to her about how hurting herself doesn't solve anything and that she doesn't need to punish herself but she insists it makes her feel better (although says she won't do it again).

I am scared that this is going to get worse or that she will keep doing it and hide it (or that she may already be doing this). I'm not sure who to speak to or where to get help. Or is it something that I can deal with at home?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks Smiley Happy

PS We have a family history of anxiety, panick attacks and depression.

Re: Worried about 8 year old daughter

Hey PotterGirl

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy Just so you're aware, ReachOut is aimed at people aged 14-25, so it might be difficult to find information about younger people, like your daughter. We're not health professionals either. It's hard to know what to do when we can see that someone we love is struggling, but you sound like an incredibly caring and diligent mother to have picked up on these behaviours and started reaching out for help! Your daughter is lucky to have you.

If you're worried about the self harming behaviour continuing I'd definitely suggest talking to your GP about it - they might have some advice or even be able to ask their collegues or refer you on if need be. You could also try calling ParentLine (run by the same people who run Kids Helpline) - their number differs depending on where you're located, but you can find the state specific phone numbers here: http://www.kidshelp.com.au/grownups/getting-help/who-else-can-help/parentline.php . If you're not yet sure about seeing a doctor but are still looking for some ideas/advice, they're probably a good place to start.

Good luck!

Children need to be active and same with all ppl sport and physical exercise will help, get your daughter into a sport or an activity where she can express herself such as drawing or painting. This has worked for many people, be open and talk to her, don't condemn behaviour as such but work with her to help her through this time. Smiley Happy

And ->

Welcome to the forums :smileyhappy: Just so you're aware, ReachOut is aimed at people aged 14-25, so it might be difficult to find information about younger people, like your daughter. We're not health professionals either. It's hard to know what to do when we can see that someone we love is struggling, but you sound like an incredibly caring and diligent mother to have picked up on these behaviours and started reaching out for help! Your daughter is lucky to have you.

If you're worried about the self harming behaviour continuing I'd definitely suggest talking to your GP about it - they might have some advice or even be able to ask their collegues or refer you on if need be. You could also try calling ParentLine (run by the same people who run Kids Helpline) - their number differs depending on where you're located, but you can find the state specific phone numbers here: http://www.kidshelp.com.au/grownups/getting-help/who-else-can-help/parentline.php . If you're not yet sure about seeing a doctor but are still looking for some ideas/advice, they're probably a good place to start.

Thank you for your response. I have spoken to the Parenting Helpline who have suggested that I get a referal to a pysch from the GP. Thanks again Smiley Happy

Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know, PotterGirl. Best of luck.
Highlighted

That's great to hear!! I hope everything works out for you and your daughter - early intervention is really great for these kinds of things and really seems as though you are on the ball! Your daughter is very lucky to have such a supportive mum. Smiley Happy