cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

coping with pressures and expectations

hi guys

im wondering how you all cope with having expectations and pressures placed on you?

im so stressed and no one is listening either. 

any tips on how to cope?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Re: coping with pressures and expectations

Hey there @scared01,

I'm sorry that you're feeling so stressed out, it can be so difficult to deal with all the expectations and pressures of other people.

I wish I had some awesome tips, but how I tend to cope (not very well) it just by powering through. It's not always helpful, because it doesn't really deal with all the stress that comes beforehand but especially when there's a deadline for it, once it passes it's over. Which is how powering through helps me.

In regards to expectations, I just try to be myself. For me, I figured out early in high school to not give a damn about what other people thought of me and I've tried my best to keep that mindset as I keep going. It's not easy, especially when those other people get really in your face too.

What are some things you can do to try and ease some of the stress? I'm sorry that I'm not very helpful, but I'm always here if you want to chat Smiley Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hi @scared01 !
I feel this so much, I even put the highest expectations and pressures on myself!
What I do in these situations is:
1) Breathe. It's so important to breathe and try to clear your head.
2) Think of what you are good at and what makes you happy. This is you. Everyone has special and important attributes and skills. It's really easy to forget this and be positive towards ourselves but it's one of the most important things.
3) Can you talk to the people who are placing these expectation and pressures on you? Is that a possibility?
Here for you Heart
I know a lot of people can relate to having to cope with expectations and pressures, so I thank you for posting this Smiley Happy

hey @N1ghtW1ng and thanks for responding.
i try to just power on through but it can be quite difficult esp when it feels like the worlds against me.
i know im extra stressed at the moment because of an upcoming appointment and this week is busy as one the weekend weve got a 2 day event with the horses so theres quite abit of preparation going on and a busy weekend as well which is where alot of the pressure is at the moment as well.

@missep thank you for responding, and for those great tips as well. oh yes i have high expectations of myself too, mostly becasue i think its the way ive been brought up with expectations for others so the pressure on myself is to live up to that which really isnt very helpful.

Highlighted

Hey @scared01, it sounds like you have got a busy weekend coming up! Hopefully the preparation can help you feel more at ease for the event. If powering through is feeling difficult for you, how can you manage instead? I get the sense that this is not a new feeling for you, so what has helped in the past? We all know how resilient and persistent you are, you always find a way Smiley Happy

I think remembering your strengths and what you have accomplished in the past is a really great tip when faced with any challenge, as @missep suggested Heart

hey @Taylor-RO
no this is definently not something that is new to me. i pretty much live in a pressure cooker. its just been so much lately with yet another incident today. i just take things as it comes though sometimes it doesnt work, kinda like now where it is really affecting me.

As difficult and unfortunate as it is, it means you have a whole range of skills and strengths that you can tap into when feeling this way. You have built this up by dealing with each challenge that has come your way. It is awesome that taking things slowly has been beneficial but as you said, it has begun to really affect you and your strategy is less effective. How do you manage when things really affect you? What do you need right now? Smiley Happy

That being said, I think it is normal to feel a degree of stress or anxiety with an important event coming up. As you said, there is a lot of pressure. Could it be something that might pass as the event finishes? 

@Taylor-RO
thanks, well usually my release is sh but im trying very hard not to do that. i honestly dont know what else to do, i contacted a helpline and they really werent helpful. it was a pointless convo really.
i dont even know what i need right now. does a new brain or a new life count?

when the event finishes itll be a little less pressure but im so stressed about everything and now i dont have a car and its going o cost me alot to fix so i dont know how long its going to take now to fix. so ive alos lost alot of independence and im stuck mostly at home so i dont have that release of just going for a drive either.

Hey @scared01, have you tried contacting a different helpline? I find that I tend to have different experiences with different helplines (I'm not sure if you've experienced this also).

yeah ive tried 2 different ones, one more helpful then the other but it really just felt like rambling instead of a meaningful conversation if that makes sense @Esperanza67