cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [Special guest] The elephant in the room

That tee shirt is amazing! Smiley Very Happy

I think that story telling can help reduce stigma (I think I'm getting what it means @safari93 Smiley Happy) because it allows people to hear/read and understand more about what other people with mental health issues are going through, if they don't have it themselves. It can also help those who are suffering by showing them it can be okay to share.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Have you ever encountered stigma around mental health? What are some of the common types of stigma that you have seen? 

A little bit, like the whole "crazy/insane" thing, and definitely the "weakness" stuff.

What’s the point of storytelling? Can it help to reduce stigma?

To share something that people can relate to, draw parallels with their own knowledge and experiences, and get an idea of where the other person is coming from rather than just rattling off facts with nothing relatable behind them. I think it can help reduce stigma, because people learn more about the human behind the illness and if they can relate to the story then it shows that it's something that can affect everyone.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

It can help reduce stigma, it helps others learn about how ill mental health can affect anybody, it doesnt discriminated. It also helps those know they are not going through things alone and the types of things other people have done to support themselves, which gives them ideas and things to try.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Storytelling personalises things that can sometimes be quite abstract, or misrepresented with sterotypes and stigma. By being able to hear what someone you can relate to has gone through, you can better understand and empathise with the experiences they have had. This changes our perceptions of the mental health issues.

Stories are also easier for us to remember. So we are more likely to learn about how to recognise symptoms of mental health problems and ways to seek help if we have heard them directly through someone's story, than just reading them in a pamphlet.

Recognising that your own past can be written into a story can also be really healing for yourself. To recognise how much you have gotten through, the skills you have and being easier on yourself. Also to remind you next time that you have the capability to get through again, and that your story is important and constantly developing.

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

I think storytelling is a heaps powerful way of pushing back on stigma. It reminds people to see the person, and not just the illness they are living with.

It helps show people their not alone. And it helps normalise it, so it's not something scary out there that's brushed under the carpet
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@N1ghtW1ng I know! It is a one off original t-shirt! My bf's artist-friend made it for him!! So it is totally copyrighted and no one can steal the design. Just btw.
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

I also agree that storytelling can reduce stigma, and that's what Batyr is all about! I think what can make a story so powerful is hearing from another relatable person, like someone who is the same age/gender/background etc. Having these things in common increases how much we're able to connect to another person and can help us feel less alone, which can make a huge difference.

Definitely agree with you all. @N1ghtW1ng it is kind of like you were saying before about physical stuff that you can actually see. We can't see mental illness but if people explain it to us we can start to get a better picture of what it can be like. If we can relate it is easier to understand and easier to not treat it so negatively but instead help encourage each other to continue to do something about it.

@Bay52VU definitely rather listen to a story than a bunch of facts and figures!