cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Faking it

Hi all,
I just turned 18 and I've been feeling like this for ages. I'm always fake smiling and telling everyone I'm ok when all I wanna do is cry, and/or die, I've got a counsellor but I tell him I'm fine too. I'm sick of feeling like this and just want it to stop :'( :'(
Highlighted

Re: Faking it

Hi Beth,

I know this feeling well.. The only way I managed to get past it was to stop faking and just being honest. It's terrifying, admitting that things aren't great and that you're struggling, but in the end that is the only way to help. It took me 9 years to admit to myself and others that I was depressed and needed help, but it was the best thing I ever did. Once you don't have to put so much energy into the facade you've created, it feels like a weight is lifted.

I hope I've been able to help in some way. If you ever want to chat, I'm here Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thanks ezzamay, I've tried several times to do that and failed, I only opened up to my bf last week and then I found out he stalks my cousins and lies to me. I had to drop him to make him stop stalking my cousins and lying to me. I don't think I can trust another guy like that again
Highlighted

No offense ezzamay or any other users but that's how it is
Highlighted

Hey Beth,

Hmmm...I can relate to this as well.  It just feels so much easier to say you're fine, then having to go into detail of what's going on.

I think you made a good move with the bf as well.  If you feel right about doing it, then it was the best thing for you to do.

Highlighted

Thanks sagira
Highlighted

Hey Beth,

It sucks when you're feeling so low and you feel as though you don't have anyone to talk to. Perhaps something to ask yourself is why you feel the need to hide how you're really feeling? Though it is hard, telling someone about what's really going on can help. After all, if someone doesn't know what's going on for you, they won't be able to provide that support.

Is it possible you could bring it up with your counsellor? If you're not happy with the counsellor you have now, remember there is the option of finding someone else you are comfortable with.

There are also help lines you can call to chat with counsellors- like Kids Help Line on 1800 551 800 or online counselling through eheadspace.org.au or kidshelpline.com.au

Take care.

Idk y I hide my feelings, maybe cos of my past
Highlighted

@Beth Taylor wrote:
Idk y I hide my feelings, maybe cos of my past

For me it's a protection mechanism.  I'm doing it with a real problem I have right now.  It causes me great anxiety...but I think I may just make the first step tonight in changing that be e-mailing my psych to start it off.  You know at the end of the day, what's better keeping it all to yourself and stewing in it.  Or talking to someone, like ripping off a bandaid, and moving forward in accepting what is and your past.  As horrible and overwhelming as that step is, it will offer you release.  I know it will for me too...that's why I'm going to do it....soon.  Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

Hey Beth 

Faking it is very easy to do especially when you know that when you say that something is wrong you might burst into tears and for me I lyk to have a front so people can see that I'm strong but sometimes its ok to let your emotions out whether its with your friends, family or your counsellor and I think letting it out will help you. 

You are so brave tho for speaking up and asking for help and you need to be very proud of yourself and this is the first step to feeling better about your self. 

Take care of yourself Smiley Happy