cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Feels like I'll be waiting forever

Hey @Tiny_leaf, bubble tea is great! I actually had some today too. What is your favourite flavour?

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling pretty crap. Is there something you can do to help with the dizziness? Heart
Highlighted

@Taylor-RO presotea's summer tea.

You?

I've eaten dinner now so less dizzy.

Some of my fish have gone missing.

Since they're fish and not.. cats or something I'm guessing they haven't run away, which means they're probably dead. 

I don't know why. The others are healthy. They looked healthy.

I'm scared more will die. They are my little fish children and I've done something wrong and now four of them are gone.

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf  do you have a testing kit? If you do maybe test the water. If you don’t there are some pet shops that will test water samples for free... sometimes the ammonia can be a tiny bit high and any of that in the water and you can have dead fish. Also the nitrates if they are off then that could be causing the build up of ammonia or if you are feeding them too much or if there isn’t enough live bacteria in the tank to cope with the amount of waste the fish are producing. If all the water levels are good then there are some types of fish that have diseases that are specific to their kind we had that issue with neon tetras and tetras have things that can only affect them. We also have to get rid of our rosy barbs from the tank and separate them because they were eating each other and attacking the gold fish. So there can be lots of things. Also if the levels in your tank are different the the levels in the tank they came from and if you got them in the last few weeks that can cause shock which can kill them. Anyway first stop would be to test the tank. 

Highlighted

@Eden1717 

Yeah, the ammonia is fine, and there's no signs of ammonia poisoning.

I'll test the nitrates and nitrites tomorrow.

The bacteria should be fine, the tank's fully cycled and the fish have been in there for close to two months with no issues.

Whatever it is has killed exactly a quarter of my fish, both the rasboras and cories, so it can't be species specific....

And both species are very peaceful, not like barbs or anything that aggressive. 

I'm wondering if it's what you said about it being different to the water they lived in previously, but I feel like they would've showed signs of stress earlier.

The only other thing I can think of is if we put in too much of the acid regulator at the last water change...

I'll check the ph now actually.

Highlighted

@Eden1717 Nup the ph is the same as I've kept it since I got the fish, so nothing went wrong there.

Thank you though, being able to go through what you suggested has helped calm me down.

Highlighted

if@Tiny_leaf  Yeah maybe try the nitrates next but the other thing i completely forgot about was have you tested the gh and kh levels (water hardness) some fish like a different water hardness and some are just super sensitive. The shock thing can happen anywhere up to like 8 week I am pretty sure but it is usually for big differences and they probably should have been fine after 2 months that being said I find the first 6 months super hard with fish and the first 2 months are always the worst because for some reason that is when they seem to die the easiest. I had one die from shock of a new tanks after about 4-6 weeks and I thought it was fine it seemed happy and ok and next thing it was gone. The other thing you can look into is where the fish came from we had an issue with our gold fish getting a fungal disease that killed them but it ended up being from the pet shop we got them from it was horrible. The other thing could be that the heater is not working or needs to be adjusted. But I think if everything else seems ok check the water hardness cause that can get some fish. 

Highlighted

@Eden1717 Oh damn...

I might ask the shop I got them from, they have more tests available and can tell me about their water hardness and that stuff.

The heater could be an issue, I'll check that next.

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf  Yeah I hope you find what it is there are heaps of good websites and stuff as well for fish care but if you can find a “fish expert” at your pet store then that is best. 

Highlighted

@Eden1717 I'll try that then.