cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not really sure what's up but I think it's loneliness.

Hey there

I'm a first year uni student just finished high school last year. Year 12 was arguably the greatest year of my life I can remember (I'd started a brand new school and had made an amazing group of friends). I was always worried about losing some of them, but at least while uni was still on I could see some of them between classes and for lunch etc. Since going online I've barely seen anyone, only seeing my closets friends one or twice in three months. My other friends seem to be staying in contact reasonably well and a lot of them live fairly close to each other. I just feel so isolated and am so bad at making friends I'm worried I'll be alone for a while. Any ideas on how to curb this growing loneliness or how to help me make new friends? If you feel like having a chat, reply if you like?

Re: Not really sure what's up but I think it's loneliness.

Hi @Izzy2001! Welcome to the forums!
I think that getting through Year 12 is an amazing achievement. Smiley Happy I'm so sorry you've been struggling with loneliness with having to social distance and uni classes being moved online though. Are any uni groups having online meetups?
I think a time like this can make you re-evaluate your friendships for the better or worse. It could be an opportunity to make new friends if you're open to doing so. I don't have much of a social life, but I've been able to make a lot of friends through volunteering, finding causes I'm passionate about and online chats and events. Would either of them be helpful for you?
We also have an article on the ReachOut website about strategies that you can use to cope with loneliness.

Hey there. Thanks for replying Smiley Happy) even that makes me feel less lonely haha
Sadly I didn't really join any clubs before we went online, and the ones that I did are all campus based. I really want to make some uni friends (or even not uni new friends) but now I have no idea how to even try to do that, since there's virtually no communication between peers, at least not for me. Volunteering seems like a nice place to start. I live in inner Sydney, do you have any suggestions where I could try and find something group based to do? The 'finding passionate causes' one sounds good too but honestly I'm kind of a newbie at being more involved in the world issues.

@Izzy2001  I'm glad you're feeling a little less lonely!
I also live in Sydney and found some places to volunteer with through websites such as GoVolunteer and Seek Volunteer. I've seen opportunities where you can do video chats, chat with people from a phone line, or visit someone who is isolated. You can use the search filters to find ones that are group-based or the kinds of activities that you are interested in.
Another thing you can try is looking at hobby groups. Some are online-based or have moved online. Social media sites like Facebook, Reddit and Tumblr are a good place to find them, and there are also websites like MeetUp which have a lot of groups that are based in Sydney.

Hey! Thank you for all those suggestions. The MeetUp website seems really interesting (I've been poking around it a little bit). I will have to check out those volunteer websites and see if there's anything close to me. Thank you for your help <3

@Izzy2001  I'm glad you found them helpful!
You're also welcome to have a look around the Hanging Out threads on the forums. A lot of them are about hobbies, introducing yourself (sorry that the Introduce Yourself thread hasn't been updated for a while), and friendship making. Here's a masterlist.

@Izzy2001 just thought I'd post here as I understand your situation and can relate, and I've been at uni for a little while now!
@WheresMySquishy  has some epic suggestions! If I may add one thing, I think it's important o consider if the time you spend with your friends when you do get to see them is quality time. Like where you really catch up and check in on each other. Is the case for you? If not, we can help you find ways to make that happen, if you like!