cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do when you are really scared of someone/thing?

I dont know what to do i am really really scared of some people that have hurt me in the past and it is getting really bad i am constantly having nightmares about what happened and panic attacks and flashbacks and i am so scared to go anywhere near where they hurt me and i keep bursting into tears when i think about what happened and what they did and i just cant cope with everything that happened i have tried talking to my psychologist about this but it isnt really helping and i just keep getting more and more sacred what should i do?

Re: What do you do when you are really scared of someone/thing?

It must be really terrifying for your @Eden1717, I'm worried about your safety tonight, can you please check your email

@Sally-RO i am safe tonight..... i checked my email but there is nothing there. 

Hi @Eden1717 How are you feeling this morning? I checked our email and can see that @Sally-RO sent you an email last night. Were you able to keep yourself safe last night?

I just want to say how amazing it is that you are able to be so generous in your love and caring for other people. And yes, that can be so exhausting. I'm sorry that you feel tired, and that you don't feel understood. For what it's worth, I think you're so brave and are doing the best you can. We're all here to support you <3

Hey @Eden1717 that sounds incredibly scary and although I don't think I've experienced anything that intense I can definitely empathise with feeling very scared and traumatised by people who've hurt me or places where bad things have happened. 

How would you feel about doing a simple grounding exercise? Something that helps me is to start by saying aloud my name, the date, and where I am, then moving into finding five things I can see, hear, smell, and touch. I can do one with you if you like? 

Do you have any security objects like a blanket or a toy or a book? Or people or pets who make you feel safe? Surrounding myself with safe, non-threatening things helps me as well. 

hi @Eden1717 it sounds like a really scary time for you. Does anything help you feel safe at all? Does being around other people help at all?
If your psychologist isnt helping would be willing to speak to your gp or contacting a helpline and talking through some of your fears? we are always willing to help here but helplines you can say what happened
Are you physically safe as in are you safe from those people now? if not would it be worth contacting the police?
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@scared01@DruidChild@Amirah-RO Helplines dont help for me they make things a lot worse and my GP doesnt listen to a word i say. also i have not found grounding exercises to be helpful in the past either...... i am never truly safe from these people i am constantly at risk of running into them again they do not live with me or anything like that but i am still constantly threatened with having to see them again. there is nothing i can do to defend myself either they are too powerful. but it doesnt matter i dont matter there is nothing anyone can do. 

Hey @Eden1717, if the people that you're afraid of have caused you harm in the past and are still around (even if you don't live with them), it could be worth talking to the police. Obviously I don't know your situation, but if someone's hurt you it's sometimes possible to get an apprehended violence order against them which means that they can't come in a certain distance of you. This website could be helpful - http://www.lawstuff.org.au/

It's totally understandable that grounding and helplines aren't the most useful things for you. Is there anyone in your life who you trust to talk to about this - a parent, sibling, friend, teacher, etc? It must be really difficult going through this alone Heart

It does matter and you matter Heart I believe in you and I believe that things can improve for you and that you will feel safe one day Heart

@DruidChild the police wont help.... besides it isnt just some people that hurt me it was a whole institution.... i have already reported it to the people who run the institution and they dont care.... there is nothing i can do it just scares me because i know i am not the only one who has been hurt and i wont be the last but there is nothing anyone can do to stop them.   

That really sucks @Eden1717, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I can't imagine how distressing that powerlessness must feel. When I feel scared of people who've hurt me in the past, I try to remind myself that I'm in a safe place now - those people can't hurt you right now, and you are in control of yourself and your body Heart

What's helped in the past when you've felt this way? Here to listen.