Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Claire-RO
Star contributor

Hey @DruidChild

I can totally understand the fear you are expeiencing, I am nonbinary and use pronouncs they/them.  This was something that I knew as a kid but I didn't have the words or the safety to fully embrace it. Can I say seriously the way that you describe how you feel when you are being your authentic self is so bloody amazing to hear. 

I guess I wanted to reassure you that your gender or sexuality is not fixed it's what works for you and makes you feel happy and connected to yourself. I know what its like to feel like you may change your mind down the track but thats totally ok as we are always evolving. In terms of people rejecting you or not being there for you I can totally relate. I grew up in a really homophic household and I didn't actually come out until I was 26. I was terrified of losing the people I loved, so I took my time and only told people I trusted slowly, same with my gender. I am now in a space where my once previously homoephobic very discriminatory country dad is my biggest fan, he recently watched a research presentation I did on bisexuality and was so impressed, 14 year old me would never had dreamt this would occur.

I recently came across this book which is called the pronoun lowdown. The author actually went through an evolution with their gender. It's so good as it focuses on the history of gender diversity and is written to help educate people. I would recommend checking it out as it helped me feel more confident in myself and I have been able to recommend it to people in my life so that they can understand better and support me.

We also had an Ask Me Almost Anything Event a few months back where RO staff who are gender and sexually diverse shared their experiences and advice, I reckon it would be helpful for you

Overall you are a bloody legend, being your authentic self is never easy to do! 

Who rated this post