Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Akinna
Star contributor

Medical Appointments

I’ve been talking with my psychologist about the need for me to see my psychiatrist on my own, without a parent there. There are some things I’m just not going to say with my mum next to me, that my psychiatrist should know. If I talk about it, then I might get taken more seriously and get better treatment.

However, my parents are VERY involved with everything. They are great and mean well, but it can be annoying.

It took me until a few months ago to convince them to let me drive myself to my psychologist (it's so great to have some alone time after a heavy hour). So it’s not going to be easy talking to them about seeing my psychiatrist by myself.

I’m thinking I could approach this topic as part of me learning to be a more independent adult, me taking charge and control over my healthcare. And of course I will fill you in on medication changes.

At the end of the day, I’m 18 now, so I have more confidentiality and rights if I want to make the most of it.

I’ve got until January to figure out how to do this (my appointment got pushed back, don’t know why, am very annoyed and slightly nervous about the gap between appointments).

Any thoughts?

Who rated this post