Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Greenfern
Builder

Hi Lee101, 

I am in university myself, and I agree about how it's great for preferred pronouns and names, but that it can still be difficult for people to actually perceive you as who you are.

Sorry to hear your mother does not seem very open to you experimenting. How does your father stand in relation to this, I'm wondering? Are there other family members who may be potentially more receptive to your struggles and understand you?

In terms of experimenting and potentially making yourself feel more like yourself, I'm wondering if it may be good to experiment with your hairstyle and dress, as these aspects are more reversible and hopefully will be less opposed by your mother. I'm also wondering if there are gender-related societies or LGBTQ societies in your university? I feel people in these societies would better relate to you and may have more advice. I know in my university (usyd) there are multiple gender and LGBTQ related societies. It would also be helpful to be part of an understanding community with your best friend away. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Greenfern

Who rated this post