cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Pho-RO
Star contributor

@Tardis009 oh goodness I'm sorry to hear that your heartfelt message caused such a stir. Although, this tells me that your friends are a great bunch of people who genuinely care and want to make sure that you're okay. When they responded to you, did they make you feel like they wanted to help you and to help support you? Because that could be an indicator of the kind of response you might get if you were to turn to them now. 

It's very normal to not want to cause our loved ones distress by talking about how we feel. But no one deserves to be alone when they're struggling. Maybe have a think about how you would feel if a friend came to you for some support. For most of us, we tend to prefer that our loved ones come to us for help rather than struggle alone. And whilst it can be difficult to hear that they are having a hard time, we don't mind in the end because them opening up to us means we have an opportunity to help make things better for them. 

Perhaps choosing one or two of your close friends and asking to have a sit down with them, and letting them know you're struggling, could be one way to go about it. You could also write them a message, this time letting them know that you are struggling and could use some support, and what that support might look like, then invite them to get in touch if they wanted to talk it through more deeply. Depends on what feels most comfortable for you. 

As for your father - how did he show his concern? Was it a case where you felt like he wanted to be there to support you, or are you worried he might react in a way that would make things harder for you instead? It can be super difficult to open up to parents about this sorta stuff, but maybe some of the tips here could help you navigate this process.

In the end, none of us are supposed to be alone in life, and particularly not in our struggles. Whether it's friends, family, or professionals, having folks around us to talk to when things get tough is so important, so I hope you are able to communicate your needs to the people who matter most. 

Who rated this post