cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

originally posted on 07-06-2017 10:06 PM

That concludes our infobus tonight. I would like to thank @Sarah-Carers and @Daniel-Carers from Carers NSW for giving up their time to talk about being a young carer with us all tonight. Also thank you to everyone who got involved and talked about their experiences being a young carer or just wanted to know more.

jimmythanks

We will be uploading the answers to your anonymous questions soon, so keep an eye out!

If you are a young carer and would like some support please call Carers Australia on 1800 242 636 or visit their website which you can find here

originally posted on 07-06-2017 10:13 PM

Thank you so much for coming everybody! It was great to hear about your experiences, what you have learned from them and all the amazing support out there for young carers too! 

An extra big special thanks to @SmileMonkey @Sarah-Carers and @Dan-Carers for getting this chat together and joining us tonight !

Feel free to post in here or in the forums with any questions you have about being a carer or a young carer. Or check out the answers to the anonymous questions that were asked below 🙂 

Gnite everybody! 

Is there any financial help available for young carers?

There are several government payments that you may be able to access. Here are a few that are most relevant to young carers.  

First there is a Bursary Program, which is a one off payment specifically designed for young carers to the value of $3000 which can be used for school related expenses.  As well as this there is also the ‘Carer Allowance’ which is a fortnightly payment for carers of all ages.  If you’re providing care to more than one person (e.g. a parent and a sibling) you may be eligible for additional assistance.  

If you’re no longer at school or in full time employment due to your caring role, you may be eligible for the ‘Carer Payment’.  This is can be claimed in addition to the ‘Carer’s Allowance’.  

If you identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander studying or doing an apprenticeship and not currently receiving other government assistance, you may be eligible for ABSTUDY.  

Finally there is ‘Youth Allowance’ which is a fortnightly payment for young people who are studying, training or looking for work. Carers and non-carers can both apply for this payments. As well as financial help, you may be able to access other types of support.

All of this can be very confusing and overwhelming, for help understanding what support is available phone Carers Australia on 1800 242 636.

If somebody isn't officially recognised as a carer but still looks after somebody a lot does that still mean they are a carer?

Every caring situation is different and the word ‘carer’ can be confusing. Young carers are daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, granddaughters, grandsons, nieces, nephews, cousins and even friends! You might not use the term young carer to describe yourself so it could be hard to know if we are the right people to connect with. You don’t have to live with the person you care for, be the main source of care and support or receive the Carer Payment or Carer Allowance from Centrelink to be a young carer!

How do I know whether I'm a young carer? Is there a definition?

There sure is - Young carers are children and young people, 25 years or under, who help to support a family member or friend who has a disability, mental illness, drug or alcohol dependency, chronic condition, terminal illness or who is frail.

Remember, every young carer is an individual with unique circumstances and responsibilities. Although each caring situation is different, once you connect with the Young Carer Community you might find that you share some common experiences and challenges with other young carers. Being a young carer can be an amazing and rewarding experience but at times it can also be stressful, frustrating and just plain difficult. But the good news is that you don’t have to go it alone and help is available. So how do you get supported? That’s where we come in!

It would be good to talk to someone, how can I access counselling?

Seeing a counsellor is a chance for you to talk to someone about your life as a young carer and how this makes you feel. It will also give you the opportunity to work out some ideas for dealing with any challenging situations. It might feel a little weird in the beginning to share your feelings with a stranger, that’s totally understandable! However, you don’t need to worry, the counsellor will have experience working with young people and will have an understanding of the issues that young carers face.

Helping to care for a loved one can be quite challenging and many young carers experience a range of feelings about their caring role. You might feel happy, worried, upset, frustrated, isolated, stressed or angry and at times you might be unsure of how to deal with this roller-coaster of emotions. If you feel like you would like to have a really good talk with someone about the ups and downs of being a young carer, then our counselling program might just be for you!  To access counselling phone Carers Australia on 1800 242 636.

My brother is getting an NDIS plan, can I be included to get support?

The focus of the NDIS is people with disability. Carers cannot get a plan or individually funded support package for themselves. However, many carers of participants will benefit from the funded supports the participant gets from the NDIS. For example, they may get a break while the participant enjoys an activity they want to do, or while a support worker helps them with personal care. A participant’s plan may also include reasonable and necessary supports to help strengthen the carer in their caring role. For example, training about the person’s disability or family counselling to deal with challenging behaviours. It’s important to speak up about what support you need.

I am a young carer, but my school doesn't know.  Should I speak with my teachers for extra support?

Speaking to your teacher or school counsellor can mean opening the door to additional supports such as special consideration, permission to have your mobile in class and someone who understands what’s going on at home. Increasing your support network can also assist you linking in with local services.

I think this needs more awareness, how can I help spread the word?

There are many opportunities to help spread the message about young carers.  We estimate there are over 275,000 young carers in Australia, however this number would be a lot higher as many age groups are missed in data collection and young carers often do not self identify.  Raising the profile of carers can be done by school/workplace awareness sessions, media promotion, removing the stigma of caring by actively engaging with community members and encouraging people to self-identify.  

I'm actually not at school but working part time, is there any information I can provide to my employer about my caring situation?

As well as information Carers Australia can attend your workplace and run carer awareness training to assist employers in supporting carers in the workplace.  For more information please contact your local Carers association.  

What do you do if a friend might be a young carer?

Start the conversation.  Sometimes offering a friendly pair of ears can make a massive difference, but you’re not alone, reaching out for additional support is encouraged and can mean introducing the young carer to counselling, further information and support.  

Daniel-Carers
Special Guest Contributor

originally posted on 07-06-2017 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone! Its been a blast - stay awesome!
Sarah-Carers

originally posted on 07-06-2017 10:08 PM

Thanks everyone 🙂 Have a good evening

originally posted on 07-06-2017 10:10 PM

Thanks @Sarah-Carers and @Daniel-Carers for coming along! We are very grateful to everyone who has shared their experiences tonight! 😄

originally posted on 07-06-2017 10:07 PM

Night everyone 😄
Daniel-Carers

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:52 PM

Well I'm pretty sure you're all going to laugh at me! But I started to get into magic. I found that having a pack of playing cards was really relaxing to have in my hand and over time I started to learn some really cool tricks! It also came in handy to impress all the nurses at the hospital! To this day I continue to have a deck of cards on hand at all times!
Daniel-Carers

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:37 PM

I was lucky that my friends knew about my caring duties and were great to vent to and for some respite when time allowed. I found that by growing my support network the caring role became way more manageable!
Sarah-Carers

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:45 PM

It can be difficult sometimes to ask for help or support when you are a young carer. Sometimes the people around us may think we are managing, which stops them from asking us if we need help. I found it very helpful when I did ask others for help and support. For example, if I wasn't able to get an assignment complete by the due date due to my caring role, it was good talking to the teacher about getting a possible extension. 

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:22 PM

@scared01 you can find their site and have a bit of a read here 

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:21 PM

Again not applicable but interested in the answers
Daniel-Carers

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:23 PM

I had many positives from being a carer. I think the biggest is that I got exposed to the medical world. Growing up the hospital was my second home and it was from this that I decided I wanted to be a nurse and continue to help others. I couldn't imagine my life any other way now that I have graduated.

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:27 PM

What are some of the positive things about being a young carer?

Well, being a carer or a young carer can be pretty tough, but that can help you learn a very important skill called resilience, which is learning to handle the stress of life and the tough times that happen. 

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:27 PM

There is lots of positives from being a carer.
Seeing my siblings learn new things and become more and more independent is really lovely. I remember probably only 12 months ago my brother would not set foot in the supermarket, it just totally freaked him out and tonight I picked him up from his part time job at a shop, thats awesome, like I helped him achieve that, how cool!
Even just when I was younger doing things for them, it just felt good to look after them knowing that I've helped. And its also not always about doing things for them its about teaching how to do things for themselves and learn new things. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:26 PM

Wow @Daniel-Carers. It's cool that your experience has inspired you to help more people. 🙂
Sarah-Carers

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:26 PM

My caring experience has shaped my career as a social worker, which has been a massive positive thing for me! When I was younger, I never would have thought that my role as a young carer would have had such a positive influence on my career choice 🙂

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:20 PM

Next question everyone 🙂

What are some of the positive things about being a young carer?
scared01
Uber contributor

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:14 PM

Thanks @Sarah-Carers
Ill have a look 🙂
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Sarah-Carers

originally posted on 07-06-2017 9:16 PM

@scared01 Wonderful 🙂 Let me know if you would like further info or contact details

scared01
Uber contributor

originally posted on 27-05-2017 11:35 AM

im up for this @SmileMonkey

originally posted on 07-06-2017 8:30 PM

Welcome to tonight's info bus about Young Carers! Tonight we have the wonderful @Daniel-Carers and @Sarah-Carers from the Carers NSW Young Carers Team and @SmileMonkey, a young carer representative.

hiiii

If you are a young carer and want to know where you can get support please call 1800 242 636.

If at all you find this conversation difficult, distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone, please don’t hesitate to call lifeline (13 11 14) or Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800) or contact them through email or webchat.

If you are new or need a refresher of our community guidelines, you can find them here.

originally posted on 07-06-2017 8:35 PM

hey everyone!!!
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
SmileMonkey
Star contributor

originally posted on 07-06-2017 8:37 PM

Hey Everyone! I am super looking forward to this chat, not just as a Mod but also as a Young Carer rep 🙂 Can't wait to hear what you all have to say!

originally posted on 07-06-2017 8:38 PM

im a young carer myself @SmileMonkey 🙂

originally posted on 07-06-2017 8:42 PM

A young carer to me is someone aged up to 25 who provides unpaid care for a family member or friend that has a disability, illness, mental health, alcohol or drug or are frail. They may not provide constant care or are the primary carer, but they provide some level of assistance for the person they care for.