Mod

the point of seeing a psych

So some of you know that I'm seeing a psych now. I've seen them twice now (well, really just once. The first time was something else...) But yeah. And see, the problem is me. I have been really struggling this last month (that month being March, not April). I've been struggling with a lot. The problem with my psych, is it's for social things... cause of reasons that for some reason I can't say (I really want to say, but something's holding me back Smiley Sad) Just a quick list of problems:

• Social anxiety
  • Headaches
  • Mood swings (feeling really angry, then getting really upset)
  • Wanting to cry for no reason
  • Distant thumping noises, oh and that revving I keep hearing at night even though there's nothing.
  • Background music driving me nuts, pretty much all sound that's interfering with another sound drives me crazy.
  • Overwhelmed at uni
  • Laziness
  • Sore all the time (as in the headaches, general muscle soreness, the tight chest)
  • Dumb feelings about being dumb and stupid and selfish and so on.

And underlined is what I talk to my psych about (it's only been once, but basically) How do you bring up all that other stuff, when the focus is on uni and anxiety? How? I'm afraid to because I don't know, I don't see how anyone can help me. I just don't know the point of seeing her anymore. 

I don't know how to bring anything up. Now, I also swear not to edit this post, because I could really use some advice on this.

Super frequent scribe

Re: the point of seeing a psych

oh @N1ghtW1ng

everything inter relates- your socail anxiety well you go to uni so theres heaps of people so probably sets off your social anxiety. so its worthwhile talking about.

just remember that these are your sessions, you dont just have to talk about uni, you can talk about anything you like , thats what they are there Smiley Happy

you can express yourself freely on here @N1ghtW1ng just let it out what you would like to say

Mod

But how do you say it @scared01? As easily as I might be able to talk about this stuff, I'm also really bad at actually talking about it. I can never seem to actually get it out.

I'm, I'm also scared about what might happen. I'm scared about telling her and I'm scared about not telling her because I am not coping. I've past census so there's no backing out of uni now.

I just don't know how to talk about all the other stuff. The anxiety and uni relate. But everything else? I did mention my chest tightening to her, but that's it.

I don't know where to even start.
Super frequent scribe

thats extremely common @N1ghtW1ng

have you considered writing it even in dot points jsut as you have here and just handing it to her ?

they get it all the time so its not uncommon to be given a piece of paper to read instead of just letting it out, then she can address you and help you work through it that way?

would you like to talk about the other things that are bothering you?

Super frequent scribe

also @N1ghtW1ng

mood swings headaches, being sore, being overwhlemed , being emotional, being the overall soreness and self doubt is associated with anxiety and depression and is also quite common for people including myself who are dealing with it, thats why i think its important to bring it up with your psych as she can get a clearer idea that your not just dealing with uni and stress and then she can help you work through those as well

Mod

You think writing the list and handing it to her is okay?
My pysch appointment is in two and a bit weeks, so I have time to try and organise my thoughts. But for now, I'm going to go to the movies Smiley Happy
Super frequent scribe

yes of course @N1ghtW1ng

i woudlnt try and organise your thoughts i would just write it as it came to you and even set it out in dot points as you have done here

Mod

@N1ghtW1ng I was actually going to suggest the writing it down and handing it to them - I have done that in the past. Do you think you would feel comfortable doing that?

Have fun at the movies Smiley Happy
Builder

Maybe you could say something like, 'I'm also experiencing *all the non-underlined stuff*, do you think that might be related to anxiety, or something else entirely?' That seems like a kind of natural way of bringing it up. Do you think that might work @N1ghtW1ng? The list idea seems good though Smiley Happy

Super frequent scribe

see @N1ghtW1ng not silly at all Smiley Happy

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count