Highlighted
Builder

[CHAT] Discussing mental health with your family

For those of us who have watched Lilo & Stitch, we all remember that iconic quote, right? The one about family?

stitch.gif

For better or worse, we're all born with a family of some sort. Everyone has a different relationship to their family--sometimes the way we feel about our family is like something straight out of a Hallmark card, all brilliant sparkles and blinding love. Sometimes it's a bit more complicated, and in other times our family might actually be the people who hurt us the most. Of course, for a lot of us here we still live with our families and depend on them for money, uni, and a place to live.

And all that stuff on top of whatever mental health things you might have going on, and navigating mental health with family isn't always an easy thing. Especially for those of us from CALD (culturally and linguistically diverse) families where concepts like mental health and therapy aren't very well-known.

Come join us this Monday June 19th, at 8pm AEST for a chat about how your family factors into your mental health and share stories and tips on maintaining your mental health whether your family is more of a help or hindrance.

batman and robin hell yeah.gif

Star contributor

Re: [CHAT] Discussing mental health with your family

very interested!

Builder

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone!

In around 10 minutes we still start our GR on mental health and family, so get ready!

If you are finding any parts of this convo difficult or distressing, please reach out to Lifeline (13 11 14) or Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800) for someone to talk to. For any newcomers, you can read up on our community guidelines here!

This is a live chat so feel free to join any time you want! Even if it's just to flit in with a single sentence before you need to flit away again, all input is valued here Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Hey @DirtWitch@scared01 @FootyFan26@roseisnotaplant@May_

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stuff that's happening on the forums:
Mod

Hello! Smiley Happy
Builder

Hey friends!
Builder

[Sports announce voice] Aaaaaand we are now live for our GR sesh on mental health and family!

Our first question of the night is: What's your family like? Who's in it, how do you feel when you spend time together? (Don't forget to include any non-human members in your answer!)

Mod

Hey everyone!

Great way to start off @DirtWitch!

My family consists of myself, my mum and dad, and my two younger brothers. And our dog and cat. I mostly feel happy when we spend time together, but my middle brother is very confident and good at all the things I'm not, so I can sometimes feel quite insecure around him...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

What's your family like? Who's in it, how do you feel when you spend time together? (Don't forget to include any non-human members in your answer!)

I have a pretty small/close family: one sister, parents, two cats and a dog Smiley Happy
Builder

I have a very patchwork sort of family...my lil bro and I were raised by my mom and my grandma. For a bit we also just lived with my dad's family (grandma, grand-uncle etc.) while our parents worked. Now, my family is all over the place! My mom and bro live with our cats in one country, my grandma and dad and half-siblings live in another, and I live in Australia

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count