Builder

[GR] It's getting better! ...Wait, no. It's getting worse.

[ Edited ]

It goes without saying that throughout our lives, we all go through stages where we are feeling better or worse than we usually would. Sometimes we may feel that we are coping well, achieving our goals and able to see our lives going the way we hope for, and it feels a little like it looks like this:

recovery.gif

Other times, everything may feel overwhelming, impossible or too painful. And you're kinda just like:

relapse.gif

For this week's Getting Real, we'll be discussing the concepts of Relapse and Recovery - what that means to us, how it affects our lives and what we can do to promote our wellbeing.

Join us from 8pm (AEDT) on Monday, January 9th to discuss your thoughts Relapse and Recovery or post below with your ideas!

Super star contributor

Re: [GR] It's getting better! ...Wait, no. It's getting worse.

OMG that cat is me every time I feel low haha Smiley LOL

Mod

[ Edited ]

[ POSTING ON BEHALF OF @ivory ]

At some point in our lives, most of us will experience 'falling off the wagon' - times where we can't meet our own expectations, or go back to doing something we swore we wouldn't. This is known as relapse. Relapses are hard; one might feel as though we have let ourselves and those around us down. Sometimes, relapse starts us on a downward spiral because we feel like once we've fallen off the wagon, we can't get back on. 

QUrcZy8.gif

Many people, however, see relapse as a vital step on your recovery journey. Recovery isn't a nice, linear transition from not okay to okay. There will be times when it's tough, and you feel like you haven't recovered at all - speaking from experience, there's definitely been times where I feel like I've taken steps backwards! 

BtuUCxOCcAAWCIb.jpg

Learning about relapse, how to prevent it, and more importantly, how to bounce back from a relapse, are all things to consider in your recovery journey. This is what we'll be talking about in today's GR.

During tonights discussion please remember to follow the community guidelines. If at any point you feel distressed or overwhelmed please contact Lifeline [13 11 14] or Kids Help Line [1800 55 1800]

Super star contributor

Hey Smiley Happy @May_

Builder

Let's get into it!

First question: What do recovery and relapse mean to you?

Mod

Mod

[ Edited ]

Tagging @j95 @dustb0wldance @Chloee @FootyFan26 in, just in case, since you sort of requested it, high fived the original post or might be interested in it!

Mod

[ Edited ]

What do recovery and relapse mean to you?

I like to think of recovery and relapse as a journey rather than an absolute. I think most things in life come in waves - including recovery - and it means something different to everyone. To me recovery means you are becoming more able to do the things that you want to do and previously couldn't do

Mod

Recovery means going from a place where your disorder/diagnoses/symptoms/behaviours dominate your life and get in the way of functioning properly. And working your way away from that place into a life where you can function, be happy, feel emotions, engage in life in a way that's meaningful for you.

And for me, relapse is doing the cha-cha while you're in that recovery journey. I few steps forward, a slight step backwards, a few steps forward again. ...part of the dance of recovery maybe...
Builder

Recovery to me means that you are adequately caring for yourself in a way that has an overall upward trend (like the picture above).

And relapse is when you have a dip that is not as easy to manage as something like a decrease in mood. So you may feel like you are back at the beginning again.
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count