Builder

Technology affecting mental health

[ Edited ]

Technology is pretty amazing. It can help us solve problems that we thought we were stuck with but can also make brand new problems we never knew were possible.

TechDistraction

It's not looking like technology is going anywhere so perhaps it's time we talked about the impact of technology on our mental health, and how to get the most out of it without creating new and unexpected problems in the process!

Join us tonight, Monday 30th at 8pm Melbourne/Sydney time for a discussion about technology and the affects it has on us.

Looking forward to hearing what everybody has to say on the topic.

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Super star contributor

Re: Technology affecting mental health

Nice topic! Probably has a lot do with some of my own health concerns, but I'm not joining tonight Smiley Sad

Community Manager

That's okay @loves netball! You can always jump back in when you're ready and we can continue talking a little more Smiley Happy 

To those of us who are able to make it this evening welcome! 

As always, don't forget our guidelines Smiley Happy 

And if things are too tough, go get extra help 

Builder

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, welcome to tonights chat on technology and mental health, I'm sure everyone has a lot to say on the topic. 

As normal, if you aren't sure of them or want a reveiw, have a read of our community guidelines HERE, before the chat. 

If you need anybody to talk to tonight you can access emergency support suggested on this page http://au.reachout.com/Emergency-Help or use our handy Next Step tool.

tech.jpg

Our first question for the night....

What first comes to mind when you think of the word 'technology'?

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

Hey everyone and welcome! Smiley Very Happy

The first thing that comes to mind for me are screens, like laptops, computers, phones, tablets (excluding tvs) things that need to charge Smiley Tongue
Builder

What first comes to mind when you think of the word 'technology'?

When I think of technology I think of devices, like laptops, tvs, phones, but technology isnt just what we have now, technology has always been there and just updated through time. 

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Hey @j95!

What an excellent question  and intro post Smiley Happy 

So in some senses technology has been around since before humans. These are Oldowan tools 

main-qimg-7d24996704296780236451d19f69dabf-c.jpg

And they were most likely made and used by someone who looked a lot like this (they probably didn't let them do much shaving hence the badly styled facial hair)

download (3).jpg

Community Manager

Ugh my post is doing the weird formatting thing again.... sorry 

Builder

hey @N1ghtW1ng things that need to charge... good point, have you ever had one of those moments where everything you need or want to use is flat?
Builder

Hey @Ben-RO wow, thats pretty interesting, goes way back!
Top High Fived Authors