j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 10:05 PM

Thanks everyone, good chat
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Randomness
Star contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 10:07 PM

Thanks @Ben-RO for running tonight and thanks everyone for chatting and all your great responses! Smiley Happy

Alison5
Star contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 10:04 PM

Gnight all! Early start in the morning. Thanks for the chat it has been very interesting and enjoyable! 🙂
lokifish
Uber contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 10:05 PM

Night @Alison5! It's been awesome reading your responses tonight 🙂

originally posted on 24-10-2016 10:00 PM

What are some things we can learn from bad experiences?

LIFE! Most of the really important and valuable lessons are taught from experiencing bad and tough things.
It helps us maintain and build resilience and strength so that we are more accustomed to facing the worlds issues and can bounce back more quickly.
Alison5
Star contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:42 PM

This is something I still struggle with soooo much! 😕
But I have also improved a hell of a lot!
On the build up to talking with my Mum for example, I set myself a goal to aim for I.e I want to disclose everything to get it off my chest and one to settle for I.e I at least want to express my feelings.
I promise myself I will do this and when I do, I like to treat myself to something. If I don't, I agree that next time I have to achieve 2 set goals.
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:41 PM

I know for me I have an exit strategy in most things @Ben-RO it helps me to know I can get out of a situation quickly and how I can do that
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:32 PM

I agree with @lokifish sometimes through text is easier for than a phone call or face to face especially about a tough topic, at least online or in a text I can walk away or turn my phone off and like bail out of the convo
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:25 PM

Good question.... I don't have an answer

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:29 PM

The internet helps? I find writing things in written form or in text means i can construct it and re-write it if I need to. Its still super hard though, the people that im lucky to have to lean on are very limited and i've built that relationship over years and even then sometimes there are things that I don't say

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:33 PM

@Stealth_ninja the Internet definitely helps! I know I share stuff on here before I feel comfortable sharing it with people in real life

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:37 PM

Ooooh so knowing you can bail helps? Makes sense, it means that you kind of have a way of protecting yourself from the potentially bad experiences, so you don't worry about them as much? Would that work as a technique for offline situations? Like if we have an exit strategy does that help us not feel like we have to flee? 

lokifish
Uber contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:39 PM

@Ben-RO I know that'd probably help me, but what would an exit strategy look like in an offline situation? Literally getting up and walking away from the conversation?

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:44 PM

@lokifish I think an offline exit strategy would be having a reason to leave, like a ringing phone or the classic, 'Oh, is that the time?' Neither of those are particularly good examples, but I think you get what I mean?

Running away also works though. Eject!

tumblr_mb6ir4qE9k1r7dslf.gif

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:52 PM

I like this idea of sharing little snippets and then building up to it. This is often what I do. I think that's often easier on both parties! 

I agree it's helpful and good to have an exit strategy. Planning in advance who you're going to tell where and when can make it easier. If you're feeling overwhelmed and like you need to get out, it's ok to end the conversation and leave if you need to, or be more subtle and change the topic of conversation to talk about something else. Also, like I said above, it's really important that you do something nice and relaxing for yourself afterwards. When I've had a tough conversation with my GP, she always asks me what I'm going to do after I leave! 

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:41 PM

Yep, that could be one @lokifish 

Guess it depends on the situation!

You could also do something like get comfortable with sharing with someone you trust over time. Maybe test the waters a little before diving into the whole conversation?

I am not sure about this whole strange idea of mine as a strategy, so I'm keen to hear what people think!

lokifish
Uber contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:43 PM

Yeah I tend to do that a lot @Ben-RO. Divulge little snippets of information and then see how they respond, and go from there

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:40 PM

That's alright footy @FootyFan26 you can always jump on later and have a read, add something on later!

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:38 PM

Really can't do it tonight, sorry guys.

Take care.

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:39 PM

All the best @FootyFan26 🙂

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:21 PM

Totally agree @roseisnotaplant!
I think it's key that your support can validate the way you feel. And this is usually why we can't always take care of ourselves without support as we tend to question and down-play our own feelings and experiences.
lokifish
Uber contributor

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:24 PM

Heya peeps! I literally just got home and thought I'd pop in and say hi 🙂

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:26 PM

So you share these thoughts or feelings with someone else?  Who do you turn to for support when you're going through a rough time?

Close friends, my mum, GP, psychologist. I definitely think social support is crucial for getting through hard times, and it's also good to have more than one person to turn to (if possible) so they don't get burnt out trying to support you 

originally posted on 24-10-2016 9:20 PM

also sometimes my brother but I haven't seen him in a couple months 😞