cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Totally addicted to....................

What do you think makes something an addiction vs. something you just like to do?
I think it becomes an addiction when you become dependant on it. So, when you can't go on with your life without it, can't focus without it, or feel very uncomfortable without it.

@Birdeye wrote:

Have you ever felt like you (or someone you know) were addicted to something and how did

it make you feel?

When I was younger and in a bad place I think I became a bit addicted to the internet, and one site in particular (which I shall not name). Whenever I noticed it, I'd feel ashamed, embarrassed, unhappy and angry. The anger and unhappiness were underlying reasons leading to the addiction as well though.

I've known people addicted to other things from drugs to phones to gambling. I remember being worried/scared, unsure and annoyed with the drugs, uncomfortable with the phone and annoyed/dismissive with the gambling. Part of these feelings had to do with the exact people involved though.

Welcome Birdseye! Smiley Happy 

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I hope things have gotten better for you and those you've know that have struggled. 

@graphiqual wrote:
@delicatedreamer - I'm the same in that I have obsessions moreso than addictions, obsessions with fandoms mostly (harry potter, glee, etc)
Not the the point where it takes control of me but I do waste a lot of time and energy fangirling Smiley Happy
I used to be the same.  But I've gotten to a place where I just don't care what's going on in the world of celebrities/tv shows.  And you know what, it's actually really liberating and freeing...because I was additced to it.

I was incredibly, incredibly depressed at one point in my life and what got me through it was Grey's Anatomy.  It's probably because Meredith Grey was so 'dark and twisty', every single episode would make my bawl my eyes out, because it resonated with how I was feeling in some way.  In fact I would often not go out and say I was busy with people, just so I could watch Grey's Anatomy.  My friend even called me up on it once and told me, '...Meredith Grey is not your friend.'  I was so annoyed and hurt by that.  I now know how right she was.  But at the time I just didn't want to hear what she had to say,

hey dreamcatcher! sorry to hear that people are labelling you with a problem when you dont feel you have one. I think its totally possible to healthily enjoy alcohol on a regular basis. If you dont think that it's having a negative impact on your life or that you drinking to escape negative feelings, then that is your call to make!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@bethechange wrote:

Alright everyone, you've all shared some great insight into how addiction has made us feel so:

2. What do you think makes something an addiction vs. something you just like to do?

I think the difference is that an addiction is something that's going to have side effects if you go a day or two without doing it. With something you like to do; it's okay if you go a few days without doing it because it hasn't really had much of an effect on your mentality like that, but once you've become addicted to it, it's like, "My God; I'm going to die if I don't do [insert addiction here] real soon!"

2. What do you think makes something an addiction vs. something you just like to do?

An addiction is something you're drawn to, want to do and think about even when there's no stimulus for it. It isn't necessarily something you enjoy, yet you end up spending a lot of time on it.

I think the difference between an addiction and just something you like do is CONTROL. If you can't control something than that other thing, whatever it is, will take over and govern how much of your life it will occupy.

@graphiqual wrote:
What do you think makes something an addiction vs. something you just like to do?
I think it becomes an addiction when you become dependant on it. So, when you can't go on with your life without it, can't focus without it, or feel very uncomfortable without it.

This is a great view of addiction- that it can start to consume your life and impact you a lot. 

@Pris wrote:

@bethechange wrote:

Alright everyone, you've all shared some great insight into how addiction has made us feel so:

I think the difference is that an addiction is something that's going to have side effects if you go a day or two without doing it. With something you like to do; it's okay if you go a few days without doing it because it hasn't really had much of an effect on your mentality like that, but once you've become addicted to it, it's like, "My God; I'm going to die if I don't do [insert addiction here] real soon!"

Exactly!  It's a constant URGE that you can never seem to satisfy.

Hey everyone sorry I'm late Smiley Happy 

I think an addiction is something that interrupts your life and you cannot do anything else other than but something that you like to do that doesnt stop your life but add to your life.