cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:15 PM

@j95 Nothing wrong with that! I'm hoping to pick up a few tips too! 

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:16 PM

I"m curious to try out this pomodoro thing. Never heard of it before! 

RevzZ
Star contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:12 PM

@Ben-RO Yes! I've done the Pomodoro method too! Although the 5 minute break sometimes extends itself haha
safari93
Uber contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:10 PM

@Ben-RO I use Pomodoro as well! I have the worst sense of time so it also helps me keep track of time

@RevzZ Hey!! I think I've seen that talk, I definitely remember the monkey and dark playground thing

RevzZ
Star contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:07 PM

I'm on my phone so I don't know how to add all those @ things and bolded words. Anyway....
1. How do you study? What helps you get all your work done?

This is a good question because I just watched a Ted Talk on procrastination, with an impulsive monkey making us play on the "dark playground" of procrastination. Worth watching if you procrastinate too much.
I study by repetition (rote learning) through Quizup. I love playing Quizup so much so I thought I'd somehow integrate it into my study somehow. And it has worked well for basic concepts such as vocab and basic definitions. I'm one of those people who study well alone but I understand that group studies definitely reinforce the learning better for others. A quiet environment and maybe a little quiet jazz music gets the job done for me.
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:09 PM

Here's the awesome video about procrastination that @RevzZ is talking about 🙂 

safari93
Uber contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:06 PM

Hey @Ben-RO and @j95!! I actually have many things to say about this topic so I'm super keen!

How do you study? What helps you get all your work done?

It kind of depends, I like to study alone and in a group. Usually I'll study by myself to get the content, or to work on an assignment, and then do group study to help me remember information. I find it easier to prepare for exam questions when you have other people to help quiz you and whatnot

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:11 PM

Hi everyone! 

I'm more a learn by reading person so obviously... I read stuff. I don't find writing and rewriting out heaps of notes super helpful for me, but I know it helps many. I just take their beautifully collated notes and read/learn from those. It's not cheating, it's being "resourceful"! Smiley Happy

Also, it helps me to be organised, plan ahead and write lists of what I need to do. Being able to see in front of me what I need to get done helps me feel less overwhelmed when it feels like a lot of things in my head, and being able to tick things off as you go feels amazing! 

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:09 PM

I'm here! I've just had a quick shower though so give me a minute 😛

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:27 PM

1. How do you study? What helps you get all your work done?

I am the same as Ben in terms of incentives. The past couple of nights I tried to remind myself that I could watch some Netflix, or read a book that night. I'm not sure how effective it is, but I still get work done - so perhaps it does help!

I also find studying with my best friend helps me get work done. For example, today we got a whole assignment done in one day. So, I think that works at least!

And need I say it? Coffee? 

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:13 PM

I've been struggling with study lately, but usually I like listening to nature sounds or classical music to keep myself calm. I find it hard to study at home with so many distractions so I tend to go to the library. Regular breaks for short walks and healthy snacks are super helpful too

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:15 PM

Yeah I've tried pomodoro too but 5 minutes is way too short for a break 😛 10-15 minutes works well for me 🙂

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:16 PM

Ooh so we have a few list makers, and some people aren't Pomodoro fans, some are! 

safari93
Uber contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:00 PM

Hey all! Welcome to tonight’s GR Session, where we’ll be talking about how to balance study life with everything else. Joining me tonight, as per usual, is @Ben-RO!!

If you haven’t already, check out our Community Guidelines to make sure this space stays safe and accessible for anyone. If at any point things get a bit too intense for you, feel free to check out our Emergency Help, or just log out for a little while!.

Anyways, let’s get going!

1. How do you study? What helps you get all your work done
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:02 PM

Hey @safari93 thanks for coming along to help run the show!

Welcome @Super_Me and @RevzZ (if your internet is holding up okay) 

Also @j95 @N1ghtW1ng @lokifish... anyone else care to join?

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:07 PM

1. How do you study? What helps you get all your work done

I must confess i am not the best studier! 

I have found a couple of things help me though:

Incentives- whether it be a fun thing I can do at the end of some study or reminding myself why doing the study actually matters

Regular breaks- I find that i study best if i take a break after about 30 minutes of study. And a bigger break every hour. I am pretty impressed at people who can study for longer than that!

Pomodoro- it's just a way of timing out your breaks, and also having some rules about the study time.... i can explain more if anyone is curious. 

Planning ahead- i am not very good at this, i know i am pretty good at underestimating how tricky something can be, so I try to actually think about and even write down all the bits i need to learn. This helps me realise how much work i have to do and actually get started!

Break things into small chunks- kind of related to planning, find smaller bits of the bigger task and focus on doing them. Helps you keep track of progress. 

Just get started- the hardest part for me is just starting a session. Once i have spent about half an hour actually studying, i often realise it's not that bad and can get another five minutes in 😛 

j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:11 PM

Ah, simple fact is I dont often get all my work done so thats why I'm here haha
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 8:04 PM

hey! yes im here
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
RevzZ
Star contributor

originally posted on 19-09-2016 1:29 PM

We'll see if my internet cooperates and lets me login at all. If not, it'll be time to dive into my 3G since this is a really interesting topic.
Super_Me
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 19-09-2016 7:50 PM

Looking forward to partaking in the GR sessions!