cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Are you a young carer?

Hi people, my name is Lisa and I'm a young carer from the south eastern suburbs of Victoria. I'm 24 and have been caring for my little sister (10 years old) from the age of 13. She has a condition that not many people know about, this includes paramedics, gps and other medical professionals which makes it hard to deal with sometimes. Her condition is called Charge Syndrome and it varies among individuals so I only know my sister's case, but even then I don't know the full extent. I guess a part of me is afraid of finding out (i.e. life expectancy). Although she was born with serious physical abnormalities, she has fully recovered from that thanks to our healthcare system however her emotional and behavioural development seems to remain stagnant. This is the most challenging part of caring for her, I live in a single-parent household with two younger brothers who refuse to help out - surprise surprise - so I often feel alone and that not many people understand my situation. I have researched and tried to find those that are in a similar situation to mine but haven't been successful, mainly because the groups I have found are for carers that are either much younger or older than I am.. ReachOut has unknowingly helped me through a tough time in the past and I know that they do amazing stuff for and with young people, so I was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to share if they are in a similar situation? Sometimes its just nice to know that you are not alone.  

Highlighted

Re: Are you a young carer?

Hey @lisashortie 

have you read this factsheet on ReachOut about being a young carer?

I can imagine how challenging and pressuring it would be in your shoes and I'm glad that ReachOut has helped you through this tough time.

Your dedication to taking care of your little sister is incredibly admirable and she has shown a lot of strength, just like you Smiley Happy  

It's important to take care of yourself as well and make time for your own needs and interests but I can imagine that is a struggle in your situation. When you feel alone and need to talk to someone, remember you can contact Kids Helpline  on 1800 55 1800 or eHeadspace on 1800 650 890.

Highlighted

Yes @Student94 I've read the factsheet prior to making this post. Thank you, but that is not what I am looking for. I have spoken to plenty of mental health professionals during my youth. I want to talk to and connect with people that are in a similar situation as myself, not someone from the outside looking in. Thanks anyway.

Highlighted

Hey Lisa! So glad you found us and it's so cool to hear about your story - thanks for sharing with us. I'm sure some other young carers might come out of the woodwork!

Student94 posted the link to our content on young carers and I also wanted to post this page of Carers Australia for young adult carers like yourself. http://www.youngcarers.net.au/young-adults/

One of the biggest benefits people tell us about our forums is feeling like they are less alone so hope that you stick around and we get to know you!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Hi @lisashortie !! Welcome to ReachOut, and feel free to post here about caring for your sister (or other issues for that matter). I imagine that there are plenty of other young people out there who are also caring for a family member.

We're actually having a Getting Real session on caring for others next Monday!! (This isn't a plug, I swear - it's just an amazing coincidence). You could even meet other young carers in the session and talk about what it means to be a young carer. Just letting you know that this is on next week and could be useful for you. And of course you can keep posting on the forums. We'll always be here Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I hope they do as well @Sophie-RO I will have a look at the link tonight, thank you Smiley Happy I think I will definitely be sticking around, I'd love to get to know the ReachOut community.  

Highlighted

Thanks @safari93 I was kind of hoping someone would mention something along those lines. I'm in Victoria, what kind of session is this? Online or?
Highlighted

@lisashortie yep, its online!! Its mostly a discussion about a particular topic (in this case, caring and kindness) that goes from 8pm-10pm Monday nights.

Highlighted

@safari93 Sweet! I'm usually busy at that time but I will definitely try to tune in. Thanks for letting me know Smiley Happy

Highlighted

hey @lisashortie just wanted to chime in and say you are awesome!