cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY REACHOUT!

This week we celebrate ReachOut turning 20 years old which is awesome! So to celebrate I thought we could reminisce and share our favourite memories regarding this awesome service Smiley Happy

giphy

Feel free to answer the following questions or just share your favourite ReachOut related memory Smiley Happy

1. How did you find you ReachOut? Was it because of a stall one of our Youth Ambassadors did? Someone giving a speech about mental health and giving ReachOut as a resource? Seeing a ReachOut sticker somewhere and deciding to look us up? Or just a good google search?
  2. What's one of your earliest memories of using ReachOut (either the forums or the actual website)? Does anyone remember what ReachOut was like during the early days?
  3. Where do you think ReachOut will be in another 20 years? Are there any things you would love for ReachOut to achieve?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REACHOUT!!! 

giphy

Also feel free to share your favourite party related gifs Smiley Happy 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

Re: HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY REACHOUT!

To get the party started here are my answers:

1. I first heard about ReachOut when I was in year 7 and we had someone come talk to us about our mental health and afterwards he handed out these black stickers with ReachOut.com on them. I had just been diagnosed with anxiety and I remember looking up the website and feeling like I wasn't alone. Fast forward a few years later I had liked ReachOut on Facebook and they said they needed Youth Ambassadors in my state so I applied and got accepted (there is a longer story related to this). I made an effort to get involved with the forums and promote ReachOut non stop, that will be 3 years in May and I've been a Mod since November last year. 

2. The black stickers with ReachOut.com on them! I'm also positive that JayJays sold T-Shirts and these thin wristbands with profits going to ReachOut, no one on the current ReachOut staff has confirmed this though! 

3. I really want ReachOut to keep reaching more people and have more staff members Smiley Happy I would love for there to be (at least) a staff member in each state managing their own hub of awesome volunteers so we really get involved with the communities.

I've loved seeing our awesome CEO Jonno in the media this past week regarding the research RO has done regarding the concerns of parents and it's made me so proud to say I am a part of ReachOut Smiley Happy ReachOut can only get better and the sky is the limit! 

giphy 

@Bee @lokifish @N1ghtW1ng you guys have been around for ages and must have some awesome memories to share! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

OMG happy birthday RO 

• How did you find you ReachOut? Was it because of a stall one of our Youth Ambassadors did? Someone giving a speech about mental health and giving ReachOut as a resource? Seeing a ReachOut sticker somewhere and deciding to look us up? Or just a good google search?

I found RO when I was in high school. I was googling mental health and came across it. There's not much in my state about RO tbh Smiley Sad

• What's one of your earliest memories of using ReachOut (either the forums or the actual website)? Does anyone remember what ReachOut was like during the early days?

I remember the old forums. It was nearly 10 years ago (also under a different name, short story I used my name, I was only on the old forums short term) I rejoined the new forums about 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. 

• Where do you think ReachOut will be in another 20 years? Are there any things you would love for ReachOut to achieve

I would love RO to expand more into Tasmania. I hear the cool stuff on the mainland and like why you no here.

I want RO to Liicontinue to work on reducing stigma and promoting positive mh. I want every young person to know they're not alone and that there's help for them. 

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

wow 20 yrs is a huge achievement! 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

HAPPPPPY BIRRRRRRTHDAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY REACHOUT.COM! 

How did you find you ReachOut?

It's been so long, I don't even remember how I FIRST found out about RO!

But I do remember this awesome add that was on TV ages ago... 

There was also a radio add, but I cannot find it online. I know my local radio used to play it alot. I don't know if it was the same as the video, or if it was different. I cannot remember now!'

What's one of your earliest memories of using ReachOut (either the forums or the actual website)? Does anyone remember what ReachOut was like during the early days?

GOSH! I have so many memories of RO. I'll try to keep these brief... for now.. maybe Smiley Tongue

One of my earlier memories on RO was reading through the factsheets and seeing heaps of comments and conversations. I remember having to sign up to the forums separate to the website! I'm so glad it's intertwined now!

I also remember there was a game called ReachOut Central... (What happened to this @Sophie-RO - does it still exist? That was awesome!)

I also remember the Old forums and website - I've seen 2 design changes for RO by now since I first signed up 2011. I remember we had a totally different layout of forums. I remember the background was once black! 

I remember we had a section on the forums called "ZenDen" & "Toolbox". ZenDen was threads like 3 positives of today, Turning Negatives into Positives, I smiled because. It had those threads that encouraged the thought of what is good and really looking at the good things Smiley Happy Toolbox was a section to find tips and tools to deal with the situation you're facing. ZenDen became Everyday Life, and Toolbox became Something's Not Right. (I think that's correct)

We also had a slogan we'd use to encourage people going through tough times. "Keep on truckin'" I have no idea where I came from, and I cannot find any more information on this apart from my very vivid memory of Sophie-RO & others mentioning it in replies to threads I'd made way back when. (Maybe Sophie-RO can fill us in?)

Where do you think ReachOut will be in another 20 years? Are there any things you would love for ReachOut to achieve?

I have no clue where RO will be in another 20 years, probably doing more awesome work as usual Smiley Happy

Awesome things for RO to achieve, there's probably heaps, but I want RO to still exist long long long into the future! It's great to be able to log in and talk to people about things anonymously and get ideas on what helps. RO was a godsend for me finishing High School, and really helped me with my Mental Health Journey. Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Bee I remember RO central. I loved it lol. They should turn it into a mobile game if such thing could happen lol
and the layout of RO and the forums has changed so much over the years. I'm glad I came back after a couple years away. I've always loved the fact sheets, that's how I first found RO
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@redhead @Bee hang on a sec, I think I know what you're talking about! I just googled images of it and it is! Haha I remember playing that game AGES ago! Smiley Very Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

20 years is so old Smiley Tongue That's awesome, happy birthday RO Smiley Happy
How did you find you ReachOut?
I think eheadspace from memory. Like through the email thing they do, they were like 'here are some links' and i was like 'ooh a forum...' and the rest is history.
What's one of your earliest memories of using ReachOut?
The LDR GR was my first time being like 'woah this is a really rad community' and y'all made me feel really welcome and it was pretty awesome Smiley Happy
Where do you think ReachOut will be in another 20 years? Are there any things you would love for ReachOut to achieve?
We'll all be robots and be able to send each other cookies and pizza through the internet and we'll be able to stick our hands through the computer and literally high five each other and it'll be awesome Smiley Tongue

LDR @roseisnotaplant?

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Sending food through the forums!!!! YESSSSSSS!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

long distance relationships @N1ghtW1ng Smiley Happy