cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Passing Time

I find myself meandering on the Net a lot. I go on to look something up, and 20 minutes later I am looking at some story on some random site and I don't even know how I got there.

Some of my mates reckon the best way to zone out is to play X Box/PlayStation, but I always feel guilty playing this stuff as I think it is a time-waster, and instead I seem to find other equally unproductive activities to occupy myself with. 

I also know what you mean @AllyEm - I think social media is giving us a very short attention span and it ain't a good thing. Sorry can't stay, need to check my Facebook!!!!!!

Highlighted

@BennyW wrote:

Some of my mates reckon the best way to zone out is to play X Box/PlayStation, but I always feel guilty playing this stuff as I think it is a time-waster, and instead I seem to find other equally unproductive activities to occupy myself with. 

@I also know what you mean @AllyEm - I think social media is giving us a very short attention span and it ain't a good thing. Sorry can't stay, need to check my Facebook!!!!!!

Oh you've poked the bear now (and apologies for this really really long ramble on the topic).

I'll pop some of it behind a spoiler to spare everyone the horror.

It's a very popular argument to say that video games or social media sites are "time wasters" but I think that takes an incredibly narrow-minded view of the purposes these activities serve, not just as time passing tools, but as systems for personal, communal, social and societal development.

Spoiler

Modern video games can stimulate the mind, improve social skills, improve one's ability to work as part of a team, allow you to think holistically, improve memory… not to mention the opportunities they provide to learn about (macro and micro) economics, develop strategic and/or tactical thinking, understand and predict trends, improve pattern recognition, and plenty of other skills that have real-world value.

Social media are a little different. It's important to understand that managing your own time is the most important thing when dealing with Facebook, however, the key point here is that it allows a person to record and maintain their relationships regardless of their location or timezone. From my own personal experience, this has been critical for me in maintaining friendships in which I haven't seen others for years but can keep the relationship familiar enough that I won't feel bad asking things of them in the future (such as when I go to Europe next year).

Facebook (everyone's favourite pincushion) aside, other forms of social media fulfill incredible tasks that were difficult or impossible to achieve before. Forums such as this one, for example, exist across a variety of niches, supporting communities that might not be able to exist due to proximity, disability, temporal inconvenience or even taboo. They've brought enrichment to lives in ways impossible before. Twitter allows you to stay connected, not (necessarily) to friends but to the world, in a way that news services can't possibly achieve due to its flexibility of personalisation.

And that's all really just the tip of the iceberg.

As for short attention spans, I'm not sure Facebook, specifically, is to blame. We live in an "attention economy" — something that was developing long before Facebook (or even the Internet!) appeared — and we each have to decide how we spend this precious resource of which we only have about 16 hours each day. Of course, everyone wants our attention: TV, Facebook, Google, billboards, friends… even panhandlers. You as an individual have to decide, first, whether you'll manage that expenditure yourself or let the various media bid for it wholesale (i.e. watch what you're told to watch), and second, how you'll "spend" it.

The idea that something else has control of our attention is equivalent to saying we are but puppets, free of any will of our own, which isn't true at all.

And yet, yes, attention is a premium and finite resource and something which should be held more precious than most of us do right now. I definitely encourage everyone to spend it in meaningful ways, and video games, Facebook, and other social media are some of those ways. You just have to manage how you spend that attention.

Highlighted

I spend time with my pets mostly or I like to do some art to pass my time Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I know what you mean,I do so much during the day but end up feeling like I've done nothing.

School homework doesn't help- that's my way of passing time. Homework takes up whole afternoons sometimes.

Highlighted

Only-me, if only we could share our woes! My problem is never getting my work done...I waste time just to get out of it. We need some kind of balance!