cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Bushfires: How to cope

Hi @Tay100 @ovvvvv and @Wathan,

It has been so  lovely to read your posts of support, and suggestions for coping with bushfires and bushfire smoke. In the face of such difficult circumstances, it gives me so much hope to see our community come together Heart Thank you for posting, I am sure that your support will mean a lot to other young people coming to this thread for support! 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

And people shouldn't run away to Hawaii when they're meant to lead us!!😠

Highlighted

No worries at all, I actually used some of the content from this and related threads when the fires were near my suburbs (I'm safe and unaffected but it was weird to have this national crisis (almost) hit so close to home!)

Highlighted

Really glad to hear you are safe @Tay100 and that the content came in handy Heart Can imagine that must have been a really scary experience for you and your community!

Highlighted

I've been struggling a bit with the destruction of the fires recently. While my town has not been impacted by the fires as such (the most we've gotten is a bit of smoke, but nowhere near like other towns)

One of the things I've been struggling with most is the loss of our native wildlife. I've had to disconnect myself from the internet on multiple occasions because I've been seeing an increase in the documentation of the loss, and injuries to our native wildlife and the emotion I've seen in their poor faces just breaks my heart. I just keep crying about it. Smiley Sad

One thing that has helped me cope is also seeing the rescue efforts for these animals, and knowing they are getting care.
And another thing is knowing that there are populations in areas that haven't been burnt. I went for a drive with mum last night to take my brother to work, and we saw 2 kangaroos on the edge of town near the hill, amongst the houses, we think they may have come for water and greenery because they were near sprinklers and the hill is looking pretty brown and yellow.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

Hi @Bee and thank you for reaching out on the bushfire support thread- our community coming together to talk about the impact of bushfires is so important for healing Heart 

The impact of bushfires is really wide spread. As you've mentioned there is a lot of destruction in  communities who have experienced fire, but even those not in fire effected areas are feeling the impact of the smoke, the loss of wildlife and general sentiment around bushfires. 

It sounds like the loss of wildlife and the images/news circulating has really hit close to home for you. Your compassion and kindness are such strengths, and I can imagine that being such a compassionate person that seeing the heartbreaking photos of animals is really hurting you Heart Were you able to speak with someone about the impact the photos had on you? 

You've mentioned some great strategies to cope:

1. Disconnecting from the media when you need to

2. Finding the stories of hope, of people doing what they can to help our wildlife (there are some true heroes stepping up to help out! If you have any good news stories to share feel free to add to our good news thread here too)

3. Looking to hope that there are some communities that have been spared- hope is crucial!

Very grateful for your insights @Bee and the ways you have been coping with the impact of bushfires Heart These conversations about what impact we are feeling, and how we work towards coping and healing are essential Heart

Highlighted

Yeah all safe, the fire didn't hit our suburbs at all. And yes the content has been very useful and more insightful and reassuring than I expected, so yay!

Highlighted

Aww Bee, that's unfortunate to hear! I'm glad you like you can share this here though.
With the crying/emotional responses, I would gently remind you and encourage you not to be afraid of it at all- don't suppress or feel like you have to justify/explain these feelings. They are natural and valid in whatever form they come in. This is when self-care and self-compassion and nurturing becomes really important. Feel free to set up the self-care thread, which I believe we have both helped to make a great resource for situations where a little self- TLC is needed. Engaging with 'positive' bushfire stories is great, but don't be afraid to focus on yourself also <3

Highlighted

I second all of this! And thanks for the community calendar link too!
Highlighted

Hey guys,

I can’t believe that the bushfires are still going on to no end Smiley Sad. The thing is, hearing about the bushfires has got me pretty distressed Smiley Sad. Fortunately, I am not in bushfire-affected area, nor do have any friends/family who are, but I’m still feeling really down about it Smiley Sad. I really want to do something to help those affected. I’ve donated to several causes here and there, but there’s only so much I can donate. Therefore, is there anything else I can do to help those who are affected that doesn’t necessarily involve donating money?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy